Not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Step #2 This test is for no ALDL data OR the SES light will not flash a code 12.
KOEO; SES light? NO see previous post
If you have a SES light ground ALDL terminals A to B and see if the SES will flash a code 12 ( one long flash followed by 2 shorted flashes repeated 3 times) Does it flash code 12? If it does AND you have no serial data check circuit 461 for an open OR short to ground between the ECM and ALDL connection the wiring is good You have a faulty ECM OR a faulty PROM/MEM-CAL.

If you do not have a flash code 12 Turn the Key OFF. Disconnect the ECM connectors, then turn the key ON and note the SES light.

If the light comes on repair the short in circuit 419.
If the light does not come on Turn the key OFF. Reconnect the ECM, turn the key ON with the ALDL NOT grounded. Take a test light hooked to a good ground and back probe circuit 451.

If you get a code 12 with the test light to ground, check ALDL terminal "B" and circuit to the ECM for an open circuit. IF there is not an open circuit "B" test ALDL term "A" to ground. if open repair ground.

If you do not get a code 12 check to make sure that the PROM- MEM-CAL is installed correctly IF the PROM/ MEM-CAL are correctly installed Replace the ECM with the original PROM/MEM-CAL and recheck for code 12.
No code 12- replace PROM/MEM-CAL
If you get a code 12 at this point the system tests good.
When you get this far post your findings and I will give you the next step if you need it.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Thanks will do this today.Looked at my wiring diagram and it is showing that Orange is on circuit 440 which is 12V battery fused and the only wire that is pink is actually pink/black and it is on circuit 439 which is 12V ignition fused.

I just noticed that I am using an "88 fuel and Emissions manual. the circuit numbers may be different let me find a later year manual a double check the circuit numbers.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
I just noticed that I am using an "88 fuel and Emissions manual. the circuit numbers may be different let me find a later year manual a double check the circuit numbers.

My '92 manual shows circuit 440 to be the correct circuit I will go back and correct it in my previous post.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Step #2 This test is for no ALDL data OR the SES light will not flash a code 12.
KOEO; SES light? NO see previous post
If you have a SES light ground ALDL terminals A to B and see if the SES will flash a code 12 ( one long flash followed by 2 shorted flashes repeated 3 times) Does it flash code 12? If it does AND you have no serial data check circuit 461 for an open OR short to ground between the ECM and ALDL connection the wiring is good You have a faulty ECM OR a faulty PROM/MEM-CAL.

If you do not have a flash code 12 Turn the Key OFF. Disconnect the ECM connectors, then turn the key ON and note the SES light.

If the light comes on repair the short in circuit 419.
If the light does not come on Turn the key OFF. Reconnect the ECM, turn the key ON with the ALDL NOT grounded. Take a test light hooked to a good ground and back probe circuit 451.

If you get a code 12 with the test light to ground, check ALDL terminal "B" and circuit to the ECM for an open circuit. IF there is not an open circuit "B" test ALDL term "A" to ground. if open repair ground.

If you do not get a code 12 check to make sure that the PROM- MEM-CAL is installed correctly IF the PROM/ MEM-CAL are correctly installed Replace the ECM with the original PROM/MEM-CAL and recheck for code 12.
No code 12- replace PROM/MEM-CAL
If you get a code 12 at this point the system tests good.
When you get this far post your findings and I will give you the next step if you need it.

I did the test with the ALDL. the light did nothing. where would I find the PROM/MEM-CAL?

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I did the test with the ALDL. the light did nothing. where would I find the PROM/MEM-CAL?
You must be registered for see images attach
It is under the metal cover that is held on by 2 screws on the end of the ECM opposite of the ECM wiring connectors