Not a build thread, but an engine gore thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saren42

Reaction score
So, we have an 2008 Santa Fe that we've been using for a daily driver for a year now (since somehow our other vehicles are all broken down, and my in-laws gave it to us), and driving to work the other day, the engine decided to fail catastrophicly, and well, figured I'd show off that mess of what Hyundai's are known for. And the last picture is what I discovered when I pulled one of the valve covers... clearly my in-laws didn't take great care of the thing with oil changes and maintenance. Since we got it I changed the oil twice, and was a few weeks away from the 3rd oil change. And I just bought a good battery for the freaking thing too, that was over $200.... gaaaaah.

You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Geez! I wonder if whatever oil you were using was starting to break down the sludge and the sludge washed down into the pan clogging the pick up screen.

Saren42

Reaction score
Geez! I wonder if whatever oil you were using was starting to break down the sludge and the sludge washed down into the pan clogging the pick up screen.
That's certainly a possability, but apparently these sorts of failures are pretty common on these Hyundai/Kia 3.3L Lambda engines. It sucks so much, I haven't even pulled the valve cover on the other side, but I'm sure it's just as bad. I am going to try to get Hyundai to replace the engine if I can, since I hear they've been doing that a lot, due to their sudden failures. Which means I need to get the vehicle to them, but I need to put the top back together first. Also, apparently there's a known issue with the fuel pumps as well, that it will suddenly cause starvation, and going suddenly lean at higher engine RPM, could crack one of these cheap pistons I imagine as well.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Hyundai wont touch it. my buddy has a 2018, the engine started hammering and sucked up/burnt up/vaporized ALL of the oil and then she seized! all within 20 minutes. there was oil in it as he had just done an oil change like a month prior but he admittedly doesn't check his oil everyday like I do, but I drive old trucks and it's free preventative maintenance.

there was no evidence at all what happened. he paid for the extended warranty and his car is still covered! EXCEPT he has been doing his own oil changes and did not keep a detailed record or any receipts. he was denied.

he found 3 used engines, all of varying mileage and prices. he picked the highest mileage and lowest price and had a buddy install it in about 8 hours for $500.

he figured if it's made it that high in the mileage, maybe it will continue to run. LOL his car has 30 000 kms and he put a 120 000 km motor in it. LMAO.

he will keep detailed records and receipts.

it's not illegal to do your own oil changes on a brand new vehicle, but it must absolutely be documented and you need to keep the receipts!

yeah Hyundai is not guna touch it!

and that SUCKS!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow! So a connecting rod let go? All I see is a bearing journal inside there.

What is your plan now? Replace engine or junk it?

Now that think about it, one our compadres had a Santa Fe, a bit older, maybe the first generation that came out? They now have an Equinox for about a year. I never asked what happened to the Santa Fe...

Saren42

Reaction score
Hyundai wont touch it. my buddy has a 2018, the engine started hammering and sucked up/burnt up/vaporized ALL of the oil and then she seized! all within 20 minutes. there was oil in it as he had just done an oil change like a month prior but he admittedly doesn't check his oil everyday like I do, but I drive old trucks and it's free preventative maintenance.

there was no evidence at all what happened. he paid for the extended warranty and his car is still covered! EXCEPT he has been doing his own oil changes and did not keep a detailed record or any receipts. he was denied.

he found 3 used engines, all of varying mileage and prices. he picked the highest mileage and lowest price and had a buddy install it in about 8 hours for $500.

he figured if it's made it that high in the mileage, maybe it will continue to run. LOL his car has 30 000 kms and he put a 120 000 km motor in it. LMAO.

he will keep detailed records and receipts.

it's not illegal to do your own oil changes on a brand new vehicle, but it must absolutely be documented and you need to keep the receipts!

yeah Hyundai is not guna touch it!

and that SUCKS!

I was talking to someone who has had a lot of experience with these Hyundais, and these engine failures, and they were talking about a ton of people who've had a lot of luck going and getting Hyundai to replace these suddenly failed engines, even at this age and mileage. I figure, it doesn't hurt to try anyways.
Wow! So a connecting rod let go? All I see is a bearing journal inside there.

What is your plan now? Replace engine or junk it?

Now that think about it, one our compadres had a Santa Fe, a bit older, maybe the first generation that came out? They now have an Equinox for about a year. I never asked what happened to the Santa Fe...
Still not sure, gonna depend on what we can do for money on it, and what it may cost to get an engine for it. Currently trying to get other vehicles up and running that we can use instead, since.... the Santa Fe, is likely gonna be the most expensive to get on the road. Got a 2013 Smart Fortwo that won't start (not getting power from the control module to trigger the solenoid in the starter to go) and then my 96 k1500 that's been eating transmissions (that I think I got figured out, so that'll be good to get on the road). Luckily we got a GFM up to try to cover the costs of getting one of the vehicles up and running, and hoping we can get 2, the Smart and the truck. Since currently I can't get to work with no vehicle, and my spouse can't work because she does Doordash for work, with no running vehicle, it's hard to do that.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Maybe there is a service bulletin or a recall. that would be handy! my buddy couldnt prove that he ever changed the oil and so there was nothing they would do. I'm sure his engine is not the same.

it would be awesome if the do help you! and your right it doesnt hurt to try. my buddy sure as hell did but bit himself in the ass in the end.

Saren42

Reaction score
Maybe there is a service bulletin or a recall. that would be handy! my buddy couldnt prove that he ever changed the oil and so there was nothing they would do. I'm sure his engine is not the same.

it would be awesome if the do help you! and your right it doesnt hurt to try. my buddy sure as hell did but bit himself in the ass in the end.
Yeah, worst case I'm out like... the cost of a tow to the dealership and back, which... isn't terribly expensive. But due to not trusting the places around here, i gotta pull out my amps and subs from the car. If we end up not fixing it, I'll need to get my 1/0 power cable out of there too.... *sigh* life sucks, when stuff like this happens, lol. Sadly I don't have the receipts from my own oil changes since getting this from my in-laws, but... at that point, I think it's hardly a factor.

Saren42

Reaction score
Exactly.

my buddy got everything done for about $1800 CAD. but he bought the motor himself and had someone he knows, that does great work for real cheap install it.

things cost alot more up here in Canada though.
Right now I'm having a hard time finding an engine for the thing though, I might be able to find one at the local LKQ, but.... I don't know if I would trust that out of there, I'd need to do a basic rebuild of it before putting it in (pull the heads, inspect valves, springs, cams, and crank + bearings), to have any sort of trust in it, and even check the cylinder walls, cause... I don't need trashed walls in it. Also would want to give it a good cleaning to remove as much sludge as possible that may be built up.

The only re-built engines I'm finding, is in the range of 2-3k+ USD, which... is likely less expensive than if I did the work myself, and it would come with a warranty, but, if we can atleast get those other vehicles on the road, I can do that engine work over time. *sigh* everything is getting in the way of working on stuff I want to work on, lol. Shame I can't just throw an LS4 in there instead, but I bet that swap would be *way* too expensive (but I bet it would fit with how much space the stock DOHC engine takes up).