Not a build thread, but an engine gore thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Oh man, I really feel for you! This was a vehicle that was given to you and you didn't have any chance to research it or shop around beforehand. And then you needed to rely on it.

Unfortunately, I would highly consider just cutting any losses you already have and find something different. You may be putting an engine in it that would have the same failure 2 oil changes down the road again.

With the money that you would be investing in that engine replacement, I would do your own research into other cars in your area and find one that will fit you better. For $3k-$5k you should still be able to find a decent vehicle that you can rely on. And you will avoid shady mechanics, expensive dealerships, excessive downtime, etc.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to joke around and say just LS swap that Bit$#@&ch!

But it's a front wheel drive. Doh!

I now see you are in Oklahoma...you should be able to find something reliable for the price of a used engine that may or may not suffer the same result as this one.

For some reason a Crown Victoria popped into my mind... maybe because I unknowingly made a connection to @Erik the Awful ? LOL

I wish you luck and let us know if you have any questions.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Theres front wheel drive LS 5.3 Impalas. ever seen the 1000HP impala with 2 engines and 2 completely independent drivetrains? one in the front and one in the rear.

it can do instant burn outs by putting the front in drive and the rear in reverse.

that's some crazy ass shìt!

that was also how I found out that there was a front wheel drive 5.3.

Last edited:

Saren42

Reaction score
It might be sacrilege to some on this board, but I'm a fan of Crown Vics and V6 Mustangs when it comes to cheap transportation. Also, pre-CVT Altimas if you don't mind FWD. There's a dozen of each at Pull-A-Part.

So, the problem is, we need a larger vehicle, like Santa Fe size or more, for what we need the vehicle for.

Also, the going price for anything down here with a title that I could have any reliance on, is nearing 10k, everything less than that, is either already beat to crap and has 200k+ miles, or doesn't have a title. It is a total mess around here when I've looked.

Theres front wheel drive LS 5.3 Impalas. ever seen the 1000HP impala with 2 engines and 2 completely independent drivetrains? one in the front and one in the rear.

it can do instant burn outs by putting the front in drive and the rear in reverse.

that's some crazy ass shìt!

that was also how I found out that there was a front wheel drive 5.3.
Yeah, that's the LS4, that's the front wheel drive version, and if I had the money, time, and garage space for that, I 100% would do that, if for nothing else, than the luls.

Oh man, I really feel for you! This was a vehicle that was given to you and you didn't have any chance to research it or shop around beforehand. And then you needed to rely on it.

Unfortunately, I would highly consider just cutting any losses you already have and find something different. You may be putting an engine in it that would have the same failure 2 oil changes down the road again.

With the money that you would be investing in that engine replacement, I would do your own research into other cars in your area and find one that will fit you better. For $3k-$5k you should still be able to find a decent vehicle that you can rely on. And you will avoid shady mechanics, expensive dealerships, excessive downtime, etc.
Well, that's the thing why replacing the engine, if I did that, I would go with a rebuilt/reman with a solid warranty. If I nabbed it out of the junk yard, or off ebay, I would do a basic rebuild on it, to tear it down to the long block, inspect and clean the gunk and sludge, and make sure the bearings aren't cooked already, which is a lot of time and money to even do that, since I'd want to do an oil pump, water pump, timing chain and tensioner, gaskets all around, and I would upgrade the alternator (cause I have a full sound system in there).

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cut your losses.

A salvage yard will give a warranty, so if it blows in a given amount of time(30 days?)you'll get another engine out of them.

My sort-of son in law tried to get me to install an engine in his sante fe. I absolutely refused and told him to forget about the car.

He took it to a shop. The first junk yard engine my son in law supplied was bad, the second one the yard sent him was also bad, the third one barely ran and smoked like a locomotive and the shop was done screwing with it. It's running and here ya go.

They charged him 3 engine remove&installs , fluids 3 times and various miscellaneous stuff. shop supplies etc 3 times. I'm wanting to say the bill was $2300 give or take not including the engine, and these kids cashed out on their tax refund to do this.

CUT YOUR LOSSES!!!! besides the battery you got your moneys worth.

Last edited:

Saren42

Reaction score
Your in a jam, without a running car, you have no money, nobodies working, and an upgraded alternator to run the radio makes it onto the to-do list? SMH
I think you missed the rest of the message there. That's not a priority, replacing the engine is not the main priority, it's getting *a* vehicle on the road, and with the cost of the Santa Fe repair, it likely won't be that vehicle.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It might be sacrilege to some on this board, but I'm a fan of Crown Vics and V6 Mustangs when it comes to cheap transportation. Also, pre-CVT Altimas if you don't mind FWD. There's a dozen of each at Pull-A-Part.
No sacrilege man, lots of good beaters out there. My choices are Accords , Corollas, Camrys, S-10 blazers and pick ups.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with the cost of the Santa Fe repair, it likely won't be that vehicle.
Then why talk about it then? I didn't miss much. There are more ways than one to skin a cat, sell, part out , scrap one, sell the system, put the money into one to get it running. Focus on those priorities if the santa fe is a no-go.