No Power and Battery is Good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
I have a 93 GMC ECSB. 5.7L 350. I went out to start my truck tonight to head to walmart and nothing happened. lol
No lights, no ignition. So my first thought was I must have left the dome light on and drained the battery. So I pull the battery and set it up on my trickle charger. Nice slow 2amp trickle and I will deal with it in the morning.

Well, I'm watching the needle on my charger slowly move over to 100% fully charged. I have a new battery, maybe 2 months old. Charger says it's good. So, whats my next step? Fuses? Alternator? Relay? Need help......

CrazyDave

Reaction score
Corrosion inside the battery cable, bad ground connection.

Thanks, that will give me a starting point. I know both positive and ground are old and PO put new terminals for a top post battery. I have changed them back to side post terminals. Time for brand new cables.
Guess I get to crank up my bike in the morning! :)

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I also recommend getting rid of the useless GM battery bolts in the process and using 3/8" coarse thread bolts or all thread and nuts to secure the new cables. Thread the bolts/all thread in till its nice and snug then thread the nuts and washers down till they make contact with the terminal followed by tightening the nut with a wrench while holding the bolt/all thread with another wrench. By doing this you are applying the needed clamping force with the nuts instead of the bolts which will strip the threaded inserts out of the battery if over tightened.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
I got the negative to ground changed out and that did the trick. Starting was slow though so I'm gonna have the battery tested. It's still under warranty. Might as well have em check my alt as well.

@ darkrider, should I get those all-thread bolts @ hardware store such as Ace, or does the Auto parts store sell a specific kind for an electrical application? I've been wanting do this upgrade as well, because it makes connecting my amp wires up sooooo much easier.