Grounded alternator, now no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to disconnect my battery, and sparks flew when I tried disconnecting my alternator. I removed it to replace the ground wire to the battery. The wire wouldn’t fit with my old battery so I replaced that. Now I put everything together and I have no crank at all. Battery has 12.2 volts. Did I blow a fuse? I think I checked them all.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
May be a fuse or a fuselink near starter. Can you cross at the solenoid and crank the engine?

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought my vehicle was under my photo. I must have been thinking of a different forum. Anyways I forgot to connect a crucial ground. Going to do that and I’m hoping it will start.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought my vehicle was under my photo. I must have been thinking of a different forum. Anyways I forgot to connect a crucial ground. Going to do that and I’m hoping it will start.

Glad you got it fixed.

Mobile devices are limited, your photo is cropped so tiny that there's no visable writing. Just include it in every post anyway.
Consider this: I have 4 OBS trucks. If I post a question, you have a maximum of a 25% chance of connecting it to the problematic vehicle.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does the battery have only 12.2 volts? That's WAY discharged.

A fully-charged automotive "12 volt" battery should have 12.6--12.8 volts depending on construction.

12.2 is about half-dead.

It sat on the shelf at the store and I had just put it in. Don’t worry, I’ve got the tender on it and will get it up to speed.