No Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I have finally got my truck running rolling. No the problem is the brakes barely work. I have replaced everything, (master cylinder, proportioning valve, calipers, pads, the whole rear drum brake assembly,lines) and when I pull the truck out of the shop I have to pump and pound on the brake pedal to get her to stop. That is at 5 mph. I bled the master before installing it, bled the proportioning vale, bled the front and rear brakes. I need to get the brakes to work before I take her out for the maiden voyage. Any thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Air trapped in the ABS module maybe?

Markmartin01

Reaction score
Low vacuum so the booster isn't functioning? Have you tried power bleeding or gravity bleeding? Had a truck once that you couldn't pump bleed it, had to gravity bleed it. Bad mastercylinder? Last one I bought was defective new in box...the internal orings were bad and bypassing fluid.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
I have bought 2 new master cylinders. Bled the hole system. I got good stream of fluid out the bleeder. Im lost.

Rick Reid

Reaction score
bleed the brakes till no air come out, start with the right rear, then do the left rear, then the pass front then driver front. And don't use a can that's been open and sitting on a shelf, it does go bad, get's moister in it after it's been opened

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since you have removed the ABS, your brake system is now pretty much like an older square-body,, you've moved backwards.
If their are no fluid leaks, and the master is good, then their IS still air in the system.
The booster has nothing to do with it,, the booster only makes the difference between manual brakes and power brakes.
Even a tiny bit of air will give crappy brakes.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Also the rear drums are a PITA to adjust if you dont have the parking brake functioning. This could be another suspect issue to look at.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjust the rear brakes first, then bleed the brakes, check for leaks, bleed the brakes, check for leaks, and bleed some more until it finally pumps up.

Stupid stuff to check for:
Is the firewall cracked?
Is there anything flimsy/cracked/bent in the brake pedal assembly?
Is there a brake hose that's ballooning instead of transmitting brake pressure?