Newbie Question: HVAC and Light Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowpad

Reaction score
Please forgive some potentially dumb questions from a new 1995 K1500 single cab owner:
  1. Is the headlight switch illuminated when the headlights are turned on?
  2. Same for the HVAC control head -- is it illuminated also (mine does not light up when the headlights are turned on)
  3. My control head shows a Defrost switch, but I don't see any wires running through the rear window (mine has the slide-open window). Was there a defrost option for pickups? If so, how was it done? I suspect my control head came from a different model (ie, Tahoe or Suburban).
  4. I can't seem to find a replacement control head anywhere -- any recommendations?
Thank you to this great group!

Lowell

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The headlights switch I belive stayed on 24/7. Mine went out long ago lol
Hvac comes on with the park lights or headlight switch on
Silverados had defrost. but more common on suvs. It's possible yours doesn't hv defrost because of the sliding window and no wires on the glass

Lowpad

Reaction score

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you! That Amazon listing says it doesn’t fit a ‘95. Should I just ignore that?
See if it shows the connections on the back. You can anyways return within 30 days. I believe it should work, but 95s have some weird quirks.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Ghost350

Reaction score
The HVAC head units for 95's are unique. At one time you could get a kit from gm that was the 96-up head unit with an adapter harness to connect to the 95's connectors in the dash. Unfortunately both versions were discontinued. You'd have to dig in the junkyards and try to find one of those adapter harnesses or build one yourself. There is diy info on the forum to make one.

Urban Cowboy

Reaction score
My truck is a 97 but I replaced the HVAC control panel with a unit from Rock Auto and have had no issues.

Headlight switch is always lighted with key on and the others come on with park light setting or headlights turned on.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Is the headlight switch illuminated when the headlights are turned on?
Should be, yes. At least in both of my trucks. If not, either you have a rare one that doesn't illuminate or the bulbs are burnt out. I would pull it out and check the bulbs.

Same for the HVAC control head -- is it illuminated also (mine does not light up when the headlights are turned on)
Also, yes. As mentioned above, I would also check the bulbs for their condition, and if necessary, the wire harness leading to the HVAC unit.

My control head shows a Defrost switch, but I don't see any wires running through the rear window (mine has the slide-open window). Was there a defrost option for pickups? If so, how was it done? I suspect my control head came from a different model (ie, Tahoe or Suburban).
I'm not sure about that one. I've never seen a pickup with that option. I've heard these trucks came in a lot of variations, so maybe?
Most likely the PO got one from a salvage Suburban or Tahoe.

I can't seem to find a replacement control head anywhere -- any recommendations?
Salvage yard would be your best bet to find one cheap. Will it work? 50/50. But a new one is around $100 Also a 50/50 chance a new one will work and not be defective(happened to me)

I'm assuming your truck has the 5.7, so I went on rockauto and I found one for $150
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ay,a/c+and+heater+control+switch+/+panel,4212

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Check your RPO codes in your glovebox for C49. If it doesn't have that, it didn't have defrost from factory.