Newbie need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You will have to roll the front fender lips.
I did mine with a hammer & dolly. The dolly I used is the one that looks like a comma.
Start from the top center & work out each way. Little bit at a time. IIRC, it took me three rounds of tapping the lip to get it bent around enough to clear the tire.
When I was in there with the tire off, I took a grinder & ground down the sharp ends of bolts sticking through into the wheel well from the stuff bolted to them inside the engine bay.
The tire will rub the bottom rear of the fender well. Usually only when the suspension comes close to full compression in big dips. Makes a healthy 'Buzz' sound inside the cab, but the tire just rubs the tread, not the sidewall. Doesn't hurt the tire & all it does is polish off any paint or undercoating in the well.
More than likely, with the 15's will rub the lower control arms.
Take a look at the pic. Do that to both sides. Turn the wheel to full lock & then measure about 1.5" in from there to allow for when the suspension compresses. This will not structurally weaken the arm. Mine have been like this for years. There are other member's trucks on here that have had the same done for much longer.
When you get the tires balanced, get the tech to use the stick-on weights. Even with the LCAs modded, there's always the chance that they could catch & knock off the clip-on style balancing weights.
Shouldn't have to do any thing to the rear fender lips.
I'd also recommend a rear sway bar. I used one from a 400 1/2t SUV with a few slight mods. Virtually a bolt-on. Huge diff in handling.
Those shocks in that kit are nothing 'special'. Just a short version of a standard issue factory handling characteristic o-o-o-h sooo soft Grampa-ride shock. I've tried many 'lowered' shocks over the years on my trucks. Killed 'em all! The ones that have lasted & performed the best through the B.S. I put my trucks through are the BellTech Street Performers. Best ones yet, short of dropping $1000.00+ for a set of the double adjustable QA1's or Vikings.
My 98 @ 4/6 with 275/60's.
If you have more Q's, post 'em up. I'll try to help you out with more info, if I can.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tamayo

Reaction score
Thanks very helpful! 2 more questions whats the hardest part about doing a 4/6 drop? The 4/6 kit i i linked above does that come with everything i need for a 4/6 drop or will i need to buy some additional parts? Aside from the rear sway bar

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's a complete kit. Shouldn't need to buy anything more.
When you go to cut for the notch, drill a hole in the frame where the cut changes direction, first. Then cut to the holes. The round transitions that the drilled holes make will help to prevent cracks in that area.
That's a bolt-in notch & the manufacturer says that that's all that has to be done. They don't recommend welding them, but I like to put a couple or 3, 2" tack welds along the ends.
Careful removing the front springs. They're compressed pretty good into there.
Jackstands under the control arms with the weight of the vehicle sitting on them.
Remove what needs to be. Front sway bar ends, too.
Lift the truck slowly up & off of the jackstands by the frame with a floor jack.
The short springs just pop back in. No pressure.
You'll need shorter end links for the front sway bar. (Ha! You will need to buy something! doh!)
The kit instructions won't tell you this needs to be done. It does!
Box cross-member notch.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 4" front drop and the factory size swaybar links work perfectly fine.

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

Tamayo

Reaction score
Hmm. I think ill get the shorter end links just as a precaution. Is this a drop shackle? I never bothered to look but it seems my truck was dropped by the previous owner. Can you tell by the pic?
I always thought I was at stock height

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a drop shackle. Probably 2" drop judging by how close the top of thw leaf spring is to the bed

Tamayo

Reaction score
Usually the back end in 2" higher right? So If my front end is still lower than my back end would that mean my front end has been lowered as well? I think its spring dropped up front I'm not too sure. Sorry about the newbie question still learning.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the truck..when i first got mine someone had a drop shackle and stock everything up front and it was still a smidge higher in the back.

The good thing about your drop shackle is you can set it back to stock setting when you do your flip kit.

Tamayo

Reaction score
Oh awesome. Would you recommend I still by the whole kit so everything is new? Or buy the individual parts i need? It has 2” shackles i know its lowered up front but I’m not sure if by spindles or springs. I will check tomorrow