Newbie in need of advice again.... Already! (Coolant leak)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
Well folks, I've got everything figured out and all the parts needed. I was about to go flush the coolant system with the prestone flush and fill kit, but there's just one problem... I live in an apartment complex and don't have access to a garden hose. Is it necessary? Or can I just flush the system by filling it with jugs of water, coolant flush and running the engine. Just skip the kit all together?

KCusick81

Reaction score
I'd bet on the water pump, but you can verify by pressure testing or simply finding the weep hole on the pump and see if it's wet. There are generally tracks also down there if leaking is present. Now, also check the pump bearing by grabbing your fan and trying to move it around. If there is any movement whatsoever, the pump has to come out regardless of leak issue. You will need to replace the the hoses and fan clutch, too. Rock Auto sells kits with the pump and the clutch together. (I don't care what people say or promise, nothing is forever, especially in automotive!) If the pump must come out, pull the pump and fan, fan clutch, and pump as an assembly. It is easier to do it this way and saves a ton of time. It is also easier to remove the fan from the fan clutch with all of it out of the vehicle. Don't bother disassembling the old fan clutch and pump. Throw it all away. Time is money. Use new screws going back in. Put a piece of heavy cardboard or insulation board (held in place with masking tape) between the fan and the radiator before starting this job. Use dowels to locate the new pump going back in. Get some 3/8-16 x4" bolts and cut the heads off. Cut a screwdriver slot in the stud head and use these to help you keep that heavy pump in place while you put in the mounting bolts. One more thing: why are you using "green" antifreeze in a DexCool application? Good luck. PM
Wait.... so if I can spin the radiator fan freely, that means my clutch is bad? Because I can spin in all day by hand.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait.... so if I can spin the radiator fan freely, that means my clutch is bad? Because I can spin in all day by hand.
It should have some resistance to it. A good bit of resistance, mater of fact. It it spins freely, then yes, the fan clutch needs to be replaced.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I've got everything figured out and all the parts needed. I was about to go flush the coolant system with the prestone flush and fill kit, but there's just one problem... I live in an apartment complex and don't have access to a garden hose. Is it necessary? Or can I just flush the system by filling it with jugs of water, coolant flush and running the engine. Just skip the kit all together?
That would be a mother load of jugs. There must be a hose connection somewhere in that apartment complex for exterior maintenance. Btw- don’t just drain antifreeze on the ground!
Another vote for Dexcool here too!

KCusick81

Reaction score
That would be a mother load of jugs. There must be a hose connection somewhere in that apartment complex for exterior maintenance. Btw- don’t just drain antifreeze on the ground!
Another vote for Dexcool here too!
I've looked everywhere! I thought the exact same thing. I'm going to have to track down one of the maintenance guys and ask. Coolant was properly drained and transferred into labeled jugs. Gotta figure out where to take it. Skipping the flush and fill kit and just using distilled water and prestone flush and running the engine and draining wouldn't do the job?

KCusick81

Reaction score
Also, before I go pulling **** that I'm not supposed to, can someone please confirm that these are the engine block drains? 1 plug on passenger side (if I remember correctly) and the knock sensor on drivers side. Correct?

Attachments

• 20220601_183622.jpg
    20220601_183622.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220601_183649.jpg
    20220601_183649.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 14