Newbie in need of advice again.... Already! (Coolant leak)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCusick81

Reaction score
The "special tool kit" (specialized "EZ-Out", reamer, pipe thread tap) developed by the aftermarket for this job have been discontinued. However, they're still available as old-stock on eBay and other places, sometimes at advantageous pricing. I got mine on eBay for under $20. Haven't used it yet.
www.ebay.com/itm/184786147747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But you may not need any of that--all depends on how the old fitting screws out. I've been lucky, so far.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the fitting disintegrates, pick-out what you can, flush the system, don't obsess. There's all sorts of rusty debris in the bottom of the water-jacket already. (If you pull the block drains, and nothing comes out--poke an awl or screwdriver in the hole to break-up the crust of rusted debris that's settled to the bottom of the water jacket.)

Buy the Flush 'n' Fill kit, no video needed. Pull the block drains on both sides, pull the radiator drain, collect all the existing coolant and dispose of in an Environmentally Responsible Manner. Then just follow instructions with the kit. Use better hose clamps than the kit provides.

When it's me, I torque the knock sensor in, using sealant on the threads. Then replace the steel/iron plug on the driver's side with a brass draincock. Big-Blocks and vehicles with no knock sensors use two iron drain plugs, and they both get replaced with brass draincocks.

www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Y3M98I8FKKBL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I won't set foot in Hazzard Fraught. Their whole business model is to sell bottom-feeder junk with the designs stolen from reputable manufacturers. I have no interest in TSOs--Tool-Shaped Objects.

Go to your favorite parts store, get a pressure tester from their loaner-tool program with a refundable deposit. O'Reillys, for example.

My Go-To is Peak Global Lifetime. There's many other decent brands/formulas.
You must be registered for see images attach

Buy the concentrate, NOT the "50/50 pre-mix". I cut it with store-bought distilled water, and I make sure to have AT LEAST 50% anti-freeze. I actually shoot for 60%; and I've used up to 70%. It gets cold here. Anti-freeze is also an anti-boil, and a water-pump lubricant, too.

Some folks talk about going lean on the anti-freeze because water does a better job of transferring heat. And that's true. But if the only thing standing between your vehicle and overheating is the anti-freeze concentration, THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG. And besides...some day you'll go skiing or sight-seeing with your In-Laws, or whatever. You'll drive your vehicle to the top of the mountain, or halfway to the Arctic Circle. You'll never consider that it's colder there than where you live. When you're done skiiing or "seeing"...you'll get halfway down the mountain before the cracked block causes you complete engine failure. There you'll be, shaking your fist at the sky, and moaning that half-a-gallon of antifreeze would have saved you thousands of dollars.

A wrench-and-maul works...if you have a big-enough wrench. Most folks don't.

I get the fan-clutch removal kit from the loaner-tool program at O'Reillys.

Marinade as you like. I don't expect it to make a bit of difference. The heater fitting is pipe-thread, no penetrant can get in there to do any good, because it's designed to be a liquid-tight seal. And the fan clutch isn't rusted, just tight; and with almost no way to secure the water pump pulley to prevent it from turning with the force applied to the fan clutch nut. Once you crack it loose, it'll spin off with your fingers.

The penetrating oil will leave lovely puddles on the pavement where it uselessly drips off, though.

Thanks for the reply and the plethora of info! Greatly appreciated! The aftermarket kit is no more than an ez-out and thread chaser it appears, which I've got plenty of, if need be. So good there.

You make a very strong point about the coolant mix and travel. I can dig the foresight for sure.

Sounds like with the exception of the coolant and the flush and fill kit, I've got everything I need to get it done right!

Thanks again!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace quick connect fitting on manifold with this and clamp a hose on it:
ACDelco fitting 15-33220 GM12597484

A gooseneck molded 3/4" hose makes a nice replacement with that ACDelco fitting (Gates 28480, 52" long or 28481, 64" long, get one that's "too long" and then cut to length; RockAuto has Gates' 28481, about $14)

Bulk hose works too.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The "special tool kit" (specialized "EZ-Out", reamer, pipe thread tap) developed by the aftermarket for this job have been discontinued. However, they're still available as old-stock on eBay and other places, sometimes at advantageous pricing. I got mine on eBay for under $20. Haven't used it yet.
www.ebay.com/itm/184786147747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But you may not need any of that--all depends on how the old fitting screws out. I've been lucky, so far.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the fitting disintegrates, pick-out what you can, flush the system, don't obsess. There's all sorts of rusty debris in the bottom of the water-jacket already. (If you pull the block drains, and nothing comes out--poke an awl or screwdriver in the hole to break-up the crust of rusted debris that's settled to the bottom of the water jacket.)

Buy the Flush 'n' Fill kit, no video needed. Pull the block drains on both sides, pull the radiator drain, collect all the existing coolant and dispose of in an Environmentally Responsible Manner. Then just follow instructions with the kit. Use better hose clamps than the kit provides.

When it's me, I torque the knock sensor in, using sealant on the threads. Then replace the steel/iron plug on the driver's side with a brass draincock. Big-Blocks and vehicles with no knock sensors use two iron drain plugs, and they both get replaced with brass draincocks.

www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Y3M98I8FKKBL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I won't set foot in Hazzard Fraught. Their whole business model is to sell bottom-feeder junk with the designs stolen from reputable manufacturers. I have no interest in TSOs--Tool-Shaped Objects.

Go to your favorite parts store, get a pressure tester from their loaner-tool program with a refundable deposit. O'Reillys, for example.

My Go-To is Peak Global Lifetime. There's many other decent brands/formulas.
You must be registered for see images attach

Buy the concentrate, NOT the "50/50 pre-mix". I cut it with store-bought distilled water, and I make sure to have AT LEAST 50% anti-freeze. I actually shoot for 60%; and I've used up to 70%. It gets cold here. Anti-freeze is also an anti-boil, and a water-pump lubricant, too.

Some folks talk about going lean on the anti-freeze because water does a better job of transferring heat. And that's true. But if the only thing standing between your vehicle and overheating is the anti-freeze concentration, THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG. And besides...some day you'll go skiing or sight-seeing with your In-Laws, or whatever. You'll drive your vehicle to the top of the mountain, or halfway to the Arctic Circle. You'll never consider that it's colder there than where you live. When you're done skiiing or "seeing"...you'll get halfway down the mountain before the cracked block causes you complete engine failure. There you'll be, shaking your fist at the sky, and moaning that half-a-gallon of antifreeze would have saved you thousands of dollars.

A wrench-and-maul works...if you have a big-enough wrench. Most folks don't.

I get the fan-clutch removal kit from the loaner-tool program at O'Reillys.

Marinade as you like. I don't expect it to make a bit of difference. The heater fitting is pipe-thread, no penetrant can get in there to do any good, because it's designed to be a liquid-tight seal. And the fan clutch isn't rusted, just tight; and with almost no way to secure the water pump pulley to prevent it from turning with the force applied to the fan clutch nut. Once you crack it loose, it'll spin off with your fingers.

The penetrating oil will leave lovely puddles on the pavement where it uselessly drips off, though.
Also water does nothing to prevent corrosion on the inside of the cooling system which leads to rust and that cuts back on heat transfer from the engine to the fluid.

Paul Murray

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I'm back here again, sooner than anticipated, looking for some advice, technical support, suggestions and the like. As some of you may have seen, I recently started working on replacing most of my A/C system. So far so good with all of that. Today however, I have encountered a new problem. I was on my way back home from Lowe's this afternoon and as I was pulling into my parking space, I noticed a large wet spot on the asphalt where my truck sits (Uh ohhh... ‍♂️). I stopped short of the spot to check it out and sure enough, it was fresh. Peeked under the front of the truck and saw several drips that seemed to favor the passengers side (but that could be a ruse). The fluid was green, so my first thought was coolant. Popped my hood and checked the coolant reservoir and it was empty. My truck (97 k1500) never showed any signs of overheating. I crawled under the truck with a flashlight and started looking around. My best guess at this point, is that my water pump has finally given up. It appears to be the original part. There's no way there could be any correlation between the A/C work I've done and the new coolant leak is there? I checked all the hoses, they seem to be ok and I didn't see anything around the thermostat. So I'm still thinking water pump. My question/questions are these...

1. What is the best/easiest/quickest way to identify for certain, the culprit, before I just start throwing money at it?
2. If it does in fact turn out to be the water pump, should I go with an OEM pulley driven replacement?
3. Are there any suggested upgrades (perhaps electric)?
4. Is there any value to upgrading, if so?
5. Are there any other components that I should consider replacing while I'm in there? Or any unforeseen issues or potential roadblocks I should be aware of going into the repair?

And Finally, and the most frightening of my questions, if it turns out that it is in fact NOT my water pump... What is my worst case scenario?? I like to prepare for the worst and then, HOPEFULLY, be pleasantly surprised when things aren't as bad as they could be.

Thank you in advance for your time and any help/suggestions/info you can give me!

Kyle
I'd bet on the water pump, but you can verify by pressure testing or simply finding the weep hole on the pump and see if it's wet. There are generally tracks also down there if leaking is present. Now, also check the pump bearing by grabbing your fan and trying to move it around. If there is any movement whatsoever, the pump has to come out regardless of leak issue. You will need to replace the the hoses and fan clutch, too. Rock Auto sells kits with the pump and the clutch together. (I don't care what people say or promise, nothing is forever, especially in automotive!) If the pump must come out, pull the pump and fan, fan clutch, and pump as an assembly. It is easier to do it this way and saves a ton of time. It is also easier to remove the fan from the fan clutch with all of it out of the vehicle. Don't bother disassembling the old fan clutch and pump. Throw it all away. Time is money. Use new screws going back in. Put a piece of heavy cardboard or insulation board (held in place with masking tape) between the fan and the radiator before starting this job. Use dowels to locate the new pump going back in. Get some 3/8-16 x4" bolts and cut the heads off. Cut a screwdriver slot in the stud head and use these to help you keep that heavy pump in place while you put in the mounting bolts. One more thing: why are you using "green" antifreeze in a DexCool application? Good luck. PM

KCusick81

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The green antifreeze is what was installed when I bought the vehicle, about 3 mos ago. Also, I've seen and read very mixed reviews on the use of dexcool. From what I've seen, a lot of guys around here suggest "the green stuff" over dexcool.

darkdelta

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I'm back here again, sooner than anticipated, looking for some advice, technical support, suggestions and the like. As some of you may have seen, I recently started working on replacing most of my A/C system. So far so good with all of that. Today however, I have encountered a new problem. I was on my way back home from Lowe's this afternoon and as I was pulling into my parking space, I noticed a large wet spot on the asphalt where my truck sits (Uh ohhh... ‍♂️). I stopped short of the spot to check it out and sure enough, it was fresh. Peeked under the front of the truck and saw several drips that seemed to favor the passengers side (but that could be a ruse). The fluid was green, so my first thought was coolant. Popped my hood and checked the coolant reservoir and it was empty. My truck (97 k1500) never showed any signs of overheating. I crawled under the truck with a flashlight and started looking around. My best guess at this point, is that my water pump has finally given up. It appears to be the original part. There's no way there could be any correlation between the A/C work I've done and the new coolant leak is there? I checked all the hoses, they seem to be ok and I didn't see anything around the thermostat. So I'm still thinking water pump. My question/questions are these...

1. What is the best/easiest/quickest way to identify for certain, the culprit, before I just start throwing money at it?
2. If it does in fact turn out to be the water pump, should I go with an OEM pulley driven replacement?
3. Are there any suggested upgrades (perhaps electric)?
4. Is there any value to upgrading, if so?
5. Are there any other components that I should consider replacing while I'm in there? Or any unforeseen issues or potential roadblocks I should be aware of going into the repair?

And Finally, and the most frightening of my questions, if it turns out that it is in fact NOT my water pump... What is my worst case scenario?? I like to prepare for the worst and then, HOPEFULLY, be pleasantly surprised when things aren't as bad as they could be.

Thank you in advance for your time and any help/suggestions/info you can give me!

Kyle

darkdelta

Reaction score
If it's the water pump, like others said get new. If it were me, it would be hoses, thermostat, cooling system flush, and metal tank radiator (not sure on availability). Anyway that's what I did. Yours is a V8? do they have a quick disconnect connection on the intake? Mine was leaking, and when I attempted to remove it, the qick disconnect off flush at the intake. It took a good bit of time to repair, but I'm old and slow. Give that a look if there is one. Best of luck with the repair. Lots of good advice here.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The green antifreeze is what was installed when I bought the vehicle, about 3 mos ago. Also, I've seen and read very mixed reviews on the use of dexcool. From what I've seen, a lot of guys around here suggest "the green stuff" over dexcool.

When the Dexcool was first introduced, most people were still used to the maintenance schedule of the "green" coolant. We flushed out the extended life coolant and put in the green. Then 2 years later the water pumps started leaking, the intake gaskets started leaking, the sludge built up and clogged the passeges.
Turns out the green, phosphate coolant reacted poorly with the plastics and rubber inside the engine. Turns out they're not compatible with the old style coolant.

Here's my 2 pennies: Use what GM equipped the truck with from the factory. They're the ones that designed it . Dexcool is the proper fluid.

Last edited:

KCusick81

Reaction score
When the Dexcool was first introduced, most people were still used to the maintenance schedule of the "green" coolant. We flushed out the extended life coolant and put is the green. Then 2 years later the water pumps started leaking, the intake gaskets started leaking, the sludge built up and clogged the passeges.
Turns out the green, phosphate coolant reacted poorly with the plastics and rubber inside the engine. Turns out they're not compatible with the old style coolant.

Here's my 2 pennies: Use what GM equipped the truck with from the factory. They're the ones that designed it . Dexcool is the proper fluid.
I hear ya. Note taken. I honestly wouldn't know any better one way or the other. The only I know for certain is the coolant that was in the truck when I bought it was green. Haha.

Last edited: