Newbie From Southeastern Indiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I look forward to coming aboard the forum with you folks. I recenlty sold my 07 Sierra Crew 4x4 and picking up what I hope to be a very nice well cared for 1998 Silverado extended cab with Z71 package. I have always loved the looks of the GMT400 body style not to mention I'mgetting out from under a payment :). The forums are great place to gain information as I have been a member for on other forums and enjoy reading and learning.

I have done quite a bit of reading on here already scanning through several hundred threads but couldn't find an exact answer to my question. I am keeping the new 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs I recently installed on my 07 and am hoping with a new set of wheels they'll fit the 98, any feedback is appreciated. The 98 is bone stock and I really don't want to get into cracking T bars and all that for tire clearance, if the Duratracs won't fit I'll sell them and shoot for a smaller size tire and keep the stock wheels. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
:welcome: from Mississippi!!!! Glad to have you join up with us!!! I'm running 285/75/16's on mine with no lift or crank.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Welcome! they will fit I had 285/70/r17 on my 08 silverado wheels with leveling kit, and many fit them stock with lil trimming. As more reply their give you a better reply i never ran that size bone stock.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes guys I look forward to learning all I can and hopefully can help give back as well. I swapped out the tires and rims from my 07 this morning on the drivers side just to see how the 285/70/17's would look and fit. One things for sure it made it look like a whole different truck for the better. Big difference between my nice looking GMC wheels and larger tires compared to the stock wheels and 265/70/16 tires. The fronts were a little close but cleared, I think if I hit a hole/rut at full lock they'd prolly rub a little. The Duratacs dang near measure up at 33" tall. Guess time will tell I really can't decide on which way I want to go. Using an online tire calulator the size I love the most ended up being a 285/70/16 11.22" wide and 31.70" tall but I could only find that size in a couple different tires. I'd run these on my stock wheels till the wallet allows for new wheels or say the heck with it and go the cheaper route and just get new wheels and run my Duratracs with a couple cranks of the Tbars, decisions decisions.