newb intake duct and overflow tank questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys, just bought a 98 k1500, was looking under the hood and some things look questionable. New to these trucks so I've got some questions. thanks for any help

First is the intake duct that connects to the throttle body. There is just the plastic to metal and there's a big leak around the connection. Am i missing a gasket or coupler? It doesn't seem right. Also there was a bit of oil on the duct coming from the hose from the valve cover. Is this normal, should i get an oil catch can?
You must be registered for see images attach

Next is the overflow tank, one hose goes from the rad to the bottom of the tank, but the other radiator connection is capped off. Should the capped off one go to the top of the tank?

Last what goes here? its on the driver side and looks like a black plastic piece broke off that went there.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
1. There should be a rubber gasket for the air duct.

Edit: try spraying some carb cleaner where you think it leaks while the engines running and if the engine sound changes you have a leak

2. I think your coolant tank looks right thats how mine is. (My factory radiator didnt have that cap you showed but my replacement one does).

3. That is for the highly sought after optional underhood toolbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk