New OBS owner, exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, rethinking my exhaust already, glad I havent bought anything. I'm thinking I'm gonna dump this exhaust, no tips. After the last rain we got & goin in/out of my driveway I'm not gonna deal with the nice new tips getting covered in mud. So I'm now thinking maybe a x-pipe off the stock pipes right after the cats into 2 single in/out mufflers with turn downs.

Now to pick a set of mufflers, any suggestions, I almost considered 2 glass packs in long cases. I have heard a couple sound good with a x-pipe & longer cases.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain Maganflow makes a DI/DO muffler like you want. If not then it's easy to pick up a small y-pipe so you can run a SI/SO muffler. An 18" Magnaflow case muffler will be quiet at cruise and fairly loud under acceleration. A 22" will be quieter.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to lean towards a set of 20"+ glass packs dumped. I have read the turn downs make it sound like crap though & its best to just leave those open on the end without any extra piping.

My only concern with that would be water getting inside the glass packs. Anyone had issue with that?

I found some Thrush 27" glass packs for $20 each on Jegs, 2 1/4" inlets. Might also be able to find those locally too. I'm gonna go look around today on lunch & see what everyone is stocking. Is a 27" pack too long though? I know the shorter packs are not really what I"m looking for especially running 2 of them dumped, I'm thinking the longer cases will help the sound mellow out some.

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to lean towards a set of 20"+ glass packs dumped. I have read the turn downs make it sound like crap though & its best to just leave those open on the end without any extra piping.

My only concern with that would be water getting inside the glass packs. Anyone had issue with that?

I found some Thrush 27" glass packs for $20 each on Jegs, 2 1/4" inlets. Might also be able to find those locally too. I'm gonna go look around today on lunch & see what everyone is stocking. Is a 27" pack too long though? I know the shorter packs are not really what I"m looking for especially running 2 of them dumped, I'm thinking the longer cases will help the sound mellow out some.

I have no idea who would have told you that. Turndowns have a reputation for droning, but it's not awful unless it's dumped under the cab. You really shouldn't run a dual setup like that, since it will rob the scavenging ability of the exhaust system and negatively affect economy and power.

Magnaflow case mufflers aren't expensive at all. It will also sound much better than glasspacks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Options:

DI/DO dumped http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/12468/10002/-1?parentProductId=751042

SI/DO (reversible) http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/12158/10002/-1?parentProductId=751042#moreDetails

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not worried about scavenging. I know all about that, I'm not completely new to exhaust, just not sure what sounds good on these older trucks yet as its my first truck. On my 99' WS6 I'm running Pacesetter race style LT's, Texas Speed & Performance 3" ORY to a stock i-pipe over the axle into a Hooker Aerochamber single in dual out. It sounds awsome & gets plenty of compliments, but also has heads/cam/intake feeding it. But thats just not the sound I'm looking for in the truck.

I'm not changing anything in the exhaust before the stock cats. So it'll still have stock manifolds, stock cats with the stock individual pipes goin to where the stock muffler currently is. I'm just looking for mufflers to weld onto the existing stock piping that will sound good dumped with a nice deep tone. Not really wanting a uncontrolled sound like from a short glass pack. But I want to hear it, its just too damn quiet stock. And now after dealing with mud I'm not wanting any tips on this truck as its gonna get dirty & not just be a street truck, so its gonna be dumped.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I'm not worried about scavenging. I know all about that, I'm not completely new to exhaust, just not sure what sounds good on these older trucks yet as its my first truck. On my 99' WS6 I'm running Pacesetter race style LT's, Texas Speed & Performance 3" ORY to a stock i-pipe over the axle into a Hooker Aerochamber single in dual out. It sounds awsome & gets plenty of compliments, but also has heads/cam/intake feeding it. But thats just not the sound I'm looking for in the truck.

I'm not changing anything in the exhaust before the stock cats. So it'll still have stock manifolds, stock cats with the stock individual pipes goin to where the stock muffler currently is. I'm just looking for mufflers to weld onto the existing stock piping that will sound good dumped with a nice deep tone. Not really wanting a uncontrolled sound like from a short glass pack. But I want to hear it, its just too damn quiet stock. And now after dealing with mud I'm not wanting any tips on this truck as its gonna get dirty & not just be a street truck, so its gonna be dumped.

Either a DI/SO or DI/DO Magnaflow will sound fine dumped. My buddy's old Tahoe, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuYM72-UJ3k&feature=player_profilepage

DI/SI with stock manifold and cats, dumped over the axle.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I found a couple sound clips of Thrush glass packs & they seem to have more the sound I'm lookin for than the Cherry Bombs. But alot of the sound clips distort really bad too.

Does anyone have a good sound clips of a stock 5.7L vortec with cats, stock diameter exhaust with individual Thrush 27" glass packs replacing the stock muffler with turn downs or angled turn downs to keep it from pointing straight at the ground?

I also was curious about the 18" Flowtech Red Hots, anyone used those? Have a clip?

This is the best clip I could find for the thrush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0W27FuwlA

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after a little more looking around & listening to clips I think I'm just gonna go with a Thrush welded muffler, 2.25" dual in/dual out with turn downs on the end of the muffler. From the clips I listened to thats the sound I'm looking for from a exhaust with the rest completely stock. And after calling the local performance shop they can have it in a day for $52.31 w/tax. Might pick it up this Friday or next.