New OBS owner, exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm new to trucks & I have been searching for days on different exhaust but I'm still not sure what to do. Stock is far too quiet. On my Trans Am I have Pacesetter LT's/ORY & a Hooker Aerochamber muffler. I absolutely love the sound of this exhaust. I'd like to find a similar deep smooth toned exhaust without ANY popping like glasspacks are notorious for. As a rule of thumb for the Fbodies Flowmaster sucks ass for power & flow. But I see alot of truck guys loving them.

I'm also having a hard time finding a dual inlet muffler & I cant decide if I wanna try to have the exhaust shop run dual outs to behind each rear tire at about a 45* with slash cut tips or just leave the exit a single on the passenger side with a slash cut tip.

Its goin on a bone stock 1997 K1500 Silverado Z71 4wd. I was planning on leaving everything in front of the cats stock for now & just buying a muffler/tips & having the shop run it from the cats back.

Any suggestions? I have looked into maybe even doin a Flowmaster Y-collector from the stock pipes into a single in/single out muffler as well if I keep the single passenger side exit location.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can install a cat-back system yourself, in the driveway, on a Sunday afternoon.
With some dual exhaust systems, it's not possible to run a spare tire in the stock position.
Do not go larger than 2.5" with duals. A 3" for a single is the largest.
I run a resonator at the very back. (mine's a single) Makes the exhaust have a nice rumble, with no snap, crackle, or pop. I like the way it growls when I wring it out.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Magnaflow, Thrush Welded, Hooker aerochamber, spintech would all give you a good sound, you can with get dual inlet or use a y to run a SI/SO muffler.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone ran one of the cherry Bomb Vortex(3.0'' Inlet / 2.25'' Outlet) mufflers flipped around so the 2.25's are the in side & the single 3" is the outlet? They are supposed to be reversible. What about the Elite, its got the right inlet/outlet set-up without flipping it around. But I'm afraid it might not be aggressive enough from the clips I have heard. Again this is with everything else stock & just using one of these as a replacement muffler? And then adding a single slash tip.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
"Sewlow, where'd you get your resonator from?"

These.

eBay # 190562830147
eBay # 110717364626
eBay # 270804478923

Didn't realize the shipping was so much! Ouch!

Last edited:

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
"Sewlow, where'd you get your resonator from?"

These.

eBay # 190562830147
eBay # 110717364626
eBay # 270804478923

Didn't realize the shipping was so much! Ouch!

Sort of confused.. are they mufflers or something you add with a muffler?
I'm thinking you cut your muffler and put this after the cat..?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sort of confused.. are they mufflers or something you add with a muffler?
I'm thinking you cut your muffler and put this after the cat..?

I have a cat, into a muffler, then the pipe goes over the rear end, into the resonator, then a short tailpipe.
You can see it in these pix.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The reason I put this on was because a buddy bought a '78 Z28 brand new, & while it was kind of anemic when he first got it, it had the most wonderful sound. Had resonators. Came from the factory with 'em.
They are non-restrictive & get rid of the 'rap' sound. (That some people like, but not me) Changes the tone a lot. Has a nice rumble when cruising the A&W, & the sound is not annoying on long drives. Because of the way my exhaust sounds, most people think it's a V8 & are quite surprised to find out it's a 6.

Can't wait to hear it with a V8 in front of it!

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have a anwser for this???

Has anyone ran one of the cherry Bomb Vortex(3.0'' Inlet / 2.25'' Outlet) mufflers flipped around so the 2.25's are the in side & the single 3" is the outlet? They are supposed to be reversible. What about the Elite, its got the right inlet/outlet set-up without flipping it around. But I'm afraid it might not be aggressive enough from the clips I have heard. Again this is with everything else stock & just using one of these as a replacement muffler? And then adding a single slash tip.