New OBS owner, exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Anyone have a anwser for this???

Has anyone ran one of the cherry Bomb Vortex(3.0'' Inlet / 2.25'' Outlet) mufflers flipped around so the 2.25's are the in side & the single 3" is the outlet? They are supposed to be reversible. What about the Elite, its got the right inlet/outlet set-up without flipping it around. But I'm afraid it might not be aggressive enough from the clips I have heard. Again this is with everything else stock & just using one of these as a replacement muffler? And then adding a single slash tip.

I haven't run this exact set-up, but close. (I've had 3 different systems on mine) When I had the first 3" system, similiar to what you are considering, the computer kept throwing a code that said I had insufficient back pressure. Ended up restricting the exhaust between the cat & muffler, by changing the pipe size to 2.5" from the original 3". Still brought up the code, but only occasionally.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
I have a cat, into a muffler, then the pipe goes over the rear end, into the resonator, then a short tailpipe.
You can see it in these pix.

You must be registered for see images attach

not to thread jack but Sewlow, that is about the nicest pumpkin notch i've seen! most (even mine) aren't cut straight or are way to wide. good job!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
not to thread jack but Sewlow, that is about the nicest pumpkin notch i've seen! most (even mine) aren't cut straight or are way to wide. good job!

Thanks! I blame this guy. Marc, the Mad Fabricator! (this ain't me)

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't run this exact set-up, but close. (I've had 3 different systems on mine) When I had the first 3" system, similiar to what you are considering, the computer kept throwing a code that said I had insufficient back pressure. Ended up restricting the exhaust between the cat & muffler, by changing the pipe size to 2.5" from the original 3". Still brought up the code, but only occasionally.

Maybe I'm not sayin it right. What I was thinking about doin to get a nice sound without dumping $400 on exhaust was leaving everything stock to the stock muffler. Then having it cut off & a Cherry bomb Vortex welded in its place. But according to all the listings it would need to be reversed so the dual 2.25" outlets would act as the inlets & the 3" would be the single exit. Their site says this particular muffler can be reversed without issue for easy install. Then I'd have a 3" pipe goin from the muffler to exit behind the passenger tire with a 4" slash cut tip.

So the pipes from the stock manifolds to cats then to the stock muffler would be unchanged. Just everything from the muffler itself back.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mike i dont personally have a cherry bomb but was looking into one for the same reason dual in single out and the speedshop i deal with told me it would work flipping it and put me onto a customer that had done it and it sounded good there is a magnaflow muffler not sure which model it is but its reversible also and has a nice tone to it

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. I found a couple sound clips on youtube but no one mentions if its reversed, they just say they are running a vortex series. I wasnt sure how much the sound might change being reversed or if the ones in the clips are reversed to work with the stock piping on the OBS. These can be had for about $100 flat shipped from Jeg's but I'm gonna call a local parts supplier & see if I cant get it cheaper.

Would still like to hear from anyone who has experience with this series of the Cherry Bomb mufflers though before I buy.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience has been that if you run a TRUE dual setup, you will get the popping like crazy WHICH is what I LOVE and searched so long to figure out. Before I had a Y pipe a single 3" pipe with my cat converter that then split into 2.5" duals and it had 0 popping but was just very very deep and you don't need a muffler or glasspack to get the sound you're looking for. However I think the vortecs come with 2 o2 sensors where as my tbi 350 just has the 1 so not sure about how to do the Y pipe and 1 cat setup on your truck. Just thought I'd throw in my .02 bc exhaust sounds can get confusing and tricky.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Vortecs have 4 o2 sensors...it all depends on how long of a glasspack you get(shorter glasspacks have more of the poping/crackling sond and the longer ones hardly have any popping sound unless you ditch the cats)

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, the 5.7 Vortec engines have (4) O2 sensors like most OBDII cars, my Trans Am was the same way, (2) pre cat & (2) post cat. I had the rear O2's tuned out on that & probably will the truck too eventually. There is zero negative effect ditching the rears as they dont effect the A/F ratio. My TA has been with LT/ORY & no rear O2's for almost 100k miles, LOL.

Right now I'm just lookin for a muffler that I can weld in place of the stock muffler & add a tip on the exit & be done. I dont have the cash for a complete exhaust overhaul right now. Just a nice smooth deep rumble to enjoy while driving without any crackle or pop. I'm so used to daily driving my TA for the past 7yrs that having a super quiet stock exhaust actually bothers me, LOL. Its like I dont know if the truck is even running sometimes.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I have a cat, into a muffler, then the pipe goes over the rear end, into the resonator, then a short tailpipe.
You can see it in these pix.

The reason I put this on was because a buddy bought a '78 Z28 brand new, & while it was kind of anemic when he first got it, it had the most wonderful sound. Had resonators. Came from the factory with 'em.
They are non-restrictive & get rid of the 'rap' sound. (That some people like, but not me) Changes the tone a lot. Has a nice rumble when cruising the A&W, & the sound is not annoying on long drives. Because of the way my exhaust sounds, most people think it's a V8 & are quite surprised to find out it's a 6.

Can't wait to hear it with a V8 in front of it!

That sounds awesome, i'll have to look into one when I have some extra cash. Right now it's just a stock 6 and I think your setup sounds great.