New marketplace truck, most of the electric does not work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure! There's nothing more annoying than crawling through a thread for answers and never actually getting any. I've been in Kentucky for the past couple days and I don't get back to STL until next Sunday so I haven't been able to look at the poor truck, but the moment I do, I'll report back with my findings on whether or not just cleaning grounds helped. God, I hope it does. It's not really all that necessary but it sure would be nice to have OEM gauges instead of wiring in some Autozone specials.

While troubleshooting a different vehicle it reminded me of your recently acquired '90 2500 freebie with the electrical gremlins.

In this thread, so far we've put a lot of focus on the grounds, and deservedly so. But at the same time we have to remember that
each of our individual electrical loads only work with the 'difference voltage' between the power feed on 1 side, and the ground
return that *they* see on the other.

And not the net voltage when the device isn't working (ie: yet to be called upon by the human) but more importantly, what is the
voltage across that electrical load while the current is being drawn? (ie: the power windows are moving, or the heater/AC fan
is on high, the headlights are on, the snow plow is being lifted, etc.)

In a perfect world, each individual device is under the impression that it has the vehicle's +12V Battery sitting right next to it,
connected by short, robust leads with no voltage drop across them. But as we all know, this beautiful power distribution vision
is not always the case, especially in mass-produced vehicles that have racked up this many miles & decades of service. (!)

Apologies for the long setup, but just trying to emphasize for those new to automotive electrical troubleshooting that we only
have a total of ~12 volts to work with. (Actually 12.6v to 14.5v nominal, off/running, on a healthy setup.) In reality, a brand new vehicle
right off the assembly line will experience a tenth or two drop at the power window motor while it's operating, but that's to
be expected given the wire size compromises made during the design phase. And since it works well enough, no problem.

But once the lights are dimmer than they should be, or the defroster fan is noticeably slower, or the engine cranks slowly
even with a new battery & starter, now it's time to get out the multi-meter and see what's going on. Personally, if I see that
upwards of 1 volt or so is missing between the battery measurement vs the electrical load being troubleshot, I've got to
stop and bone up on the circuit.

Is this 'normal' operation, or have I discovered a marginal path that I need to restore to new functionality?

I am bringing all this up because the OP's vehicle is a '90, and therefore the '88-'94 wiring harness design rules are in play.

More specifically, between the battery and the fuse box is something called the "Battery Junction Block". It's on the firewall,
doesn't draw too much attention to itself, but between the underhood environment and all the vibration over the years,
the connections (nuts) loosen up, and voila! we end up with a voltage drop when electrical loads try to pull current through
these marginal connections. Here's a screen snap of a GMT400 owner who had cleaned all the grounds, and yet was still
chasing electrical gremlins...and he eventually made it all the way back to this pre-fuse power distribution interconnect:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: Here's a link to this YouTube video. As Hendrix would say, "Are You Experienced?" If so, probably redundant, but IF you are still learning this stuff, it's a good broke/fix story.

Just wanted to share this with @Additivewalnut -- I really want to see him take his freebie electrical basket case
and make it reliable again. Also, if anyone else is reading this and has an unreliable GMT400 electrical prima donna,
maybe this thread, plus the relevant FSM, a decent meter, and some quality time on the wiring system, and you can
get the machine (re)conditioned to work on *your* schedule.

Hope this sheds some light on +12 volt electrical systems.

Cheers --

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi sorry for my radio silence! I'll have to take a look at that distribution block and check it all up but as of right now I have cleaned and/or repaired all my engine grounds, headlight grounds, etc etc. No luck. Frankly, all the grounds look really good.... until you get to the interior, a BOMB went off under the dash and I don't even know what I'm looking at here. Swear there are clipped wires and splice connectors and electrical tape and I'm convinced that this truck is running almost entirely on hopes and dreams right now. I'm gonna start testing for electrical drop at the headlight connectors and start tracing wires back.

Honestly I kinda want to just remove my interior and replace the entire harness under the dash. Or just wire the headlights directly off the alternator and a lightswitch LOL

Also does anyone know if the 2WD trucks have a 4WD spot on the fuse block? Mine does and it makes me wonder if something was """replaced""" in here

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda want to just remove my interior and replace the entire harness under the dash. Or just wire the headlights directly off the alternator and a lightswitch
Wiring the headlights from a pair of relays, a diode, and two self-resetting circuit breakers is VERY recommended. The interior wire harness then carries only the electrical load of the relay coils instead of the full headlight load.

AND you keep all four headlights on when you're using "high beams".

www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/page-47#post-989084

Also does anyone know if the 2WD trucks have a 4WD spot on the fuse block? Mine does and it makes me wonder if something was """replaced""" in here
There was another thread awhile back. The way I remember it, he had a 2WD with a spot labeled 4WD in the fusebox. There was no fuse, and "something" didn't work right--transmission, maybe. Eventually he traced the wire schematic and discovered that there needed to be a fuse there after all, and then the "something" started working again.

Obviously (Obliviously?) I don't remember details.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi sorry for my radio silence! I'll have to take a look at that distribution block and check it all up but as of right now I have cleaned and/or repaired all my engine grounds, headlight grounds, etc etc. No luck. Frankly, all the grounds look really good.... until you get to the interior, a BOMB went off under the dash and I don't even know what I'm looking at here. Swear there are clipped wires and splice connectors and electrical tape and I'm convinced that this truck is running almost entirely on hopes and dreams right now. I'm gonna start testing for electrical drop at the headlight connectors and start tracing wires back.

No problem, I understand life is full. Glad you are still in this to win it. :0)

Honestly I kinda want to just remove my interior and replace the entire harness under the dash. Or just wire the headlights directly off the alternator and a lightswitch LOL

Schurkey beat me to it, but to add a visual to his input here's the relevant page from the '90 C/K Electrical Service Manual showing
what you should expect to see: (And there's only ONE fuse block shown, so one size fits all - good chance you are working with the original.)

You must be registered for see images attach

And if you haven't already done so, go here and arm yourself with *the* best reference materials
that you need in order to sort this beast out: The '90 GM Service Manuals. (HERE)

If you do this, then when a question comes up, we will all be literally reading from the same page.
Vastly improves our chances collectively to get the PO's mess undone.

Glad to see you're still in the hunt. Good luck!

Attachments​

Attachments

• '90 Front Cover -- CK10-30_Chevrolet_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    '90 Front Cover -- CK10-30_Chevrolet_Wiring_Manual.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Wiring the headlights from a pair of relays, a diode, and two self-resetting circuit breakers is VERY recommended. The interior wire harness then carries only the electrical load of the relay coils instead of the full headlight load.

AND you keep all four headlights on when you're using "high beams".

www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/page-47#post-989084

There was another thread awhile back. The way I remember it, he had a 2WD with a spot labeled 4WD in the fusebox. There was no fuse, and "something" didn't work right--transmission, maybe. Eventually he traced the wire schematic and discovered that there needed to be a fuse there after all, and then the "something" started working again.

Obviously (Obliviously?) I don't remember details.
Interesting about the fuse block. It had a broken 25amp in it, replaced it with a new one, didn't notice any changes. Probably related to the rest of my wiring nightmare. That headlight mod looks like something I'm gonna have to do. That would fix at least 50% of my problems. The other 50% would be fixed with some autozone Equus gauges..... I don't wanna be that guy but man it really does seem like it would be less work to just work AROUND the old messed wiring and just let it do.... whatever it's doing.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really aren't any dumb questions, none of us is perfect or knows everything. We all started out as noobs. I'll admit to having CRS, but not senile Yet.

Reaction score
Hey all, new update and some advice needed. I got ahold of the guy who sold me the truck, he said that everything in the truck, the power windows, the HVAC, everything worked until he put an aftermarket radio in. I'm going to take it out and try and put the wires back to stock. I don't have the stock radio pieces anymore but if the wiring is in tact it should be fine. Is there anything in the dash that would point to the radio of all things breaking stuff? Does the control box under the dash have systems running through it that maybe got disconnected?

Reaction score
Happy Halloween folks! I come bearing good news! That is (what is left) of my radio harness! For some reason known only to god, the ground was cut out of it. I put a ring connector on and bolted it to the dash and suddenly my gauges seem to read mostly correct AND both power windows work again AND my HVAC screen has come back on and I can hear relays clicking around in the dash. The blower motor doesn't seem to want to come online but I'm sure it's connected to another bad ground.

Current issues now are:

When using the dimmer slider, at lowest brightness the gauges read correct, at anything past that, they read all crazy.
My footwell lights are somehow connected to those stripped orange and yellow wires and connecting them, even without the CRTY fuse installed, turns the lights on.
I found a melted connector, 2 wire orange and black, sitting near a footwell light, underneath the OBD port. Can't seem to find anything it connects to though.

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231031_180616.jpg
    20231031_180616.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 14