New marketplace truck, most of the electric does not work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do I do if something is erroneously omitted from the super-duper Alphabetized list?

If you were wondering why I didn't go after G112 in my example above, there was a reason. And if
you were one of the people who was looking closely at the 'Component Locator' list and was wondering
why G112 wasn't listed immediately above G113, then you might have already guessed the answer.

That's right. Here I am puffing up just how wonderful the Service Manual is...and I discovered that
G112 was erroneously omitted from the alphabetized listing. Phooey! But that dismay only lasted a few
seconds, for I had my laptop right next to my hardcopy of the '99 C/K Service Manual.

And within a few seconds I had the downloaded copy of the .pdf file for Volumes 3 & 4 opened up
to the beginning, did the old "Ctrl F" thing, typed in G112, and after 3 or 4 uninteresting pages, up
came the following page, snapping everything neatly in focus:

(Found what I needed in seconds...all the way down on page 1726 of 3338. (!)
You must be registered for see images attach

Note: G112 is on the lower righthand corner of this schematic, grayed out slightly due to the Search function.

Not perfect, but since I know exactly where G113 is located, it makes sense to me that G112 is to the passenger
side that G113 is to the driver's side. But I decided to spin the pdf search wheel one more time, and up came
what I was looking for -- just happened to be in the Lighting Systems alphabetized list:

(From p. 1726 to p.1762 of 3338 -- after a subsecond wait -- Computers rock! :0)
You must be registered for see images attach

So there it is. A glaring omission in the Wiring Systems Component Locator alphabetized list was subsequently found in
the Lighting Systems alpha listing. "G112 - Engine Compartment, Behind the right side battery."

So when it comes to being able to quickly search through the Service Manual, some grew up with
paper manuals & prefer those. Others appreciate the laptop's ability to scan thousands of pages for a specific
signal name, ground, splice, or connector number...in seconds.

Me? I prefer both. The hardcopy for pleasure reading. And the .pdf file when I run into the occasional
snag like this.

And this real-world pothole also allowed me to demonstrate that each subsection of the Service Manual
have their own dedicated alphabetized listings similar to the ones that exist in the Wiring Systems section.

We live in an imperfect world. But with a little high-tech cheating we'll manage to get by... :0)

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Road Trip That was one of the most helpful forum experiences I've ever had in my entire life.

My pleasure. As a fellow GMT400 enthusiast who's trying to keep another one on the road
and out of the junk yard, you are most welcome. (Also, tip of the hat to those who shared those
.pdf files -- between all the contributors over the years, the total amount of helpful stuff that's
accumulated in here is nothing short of astounding. (!)

If you could do us all a big favor, as you sort through the electrical issues on your truck,
please report back here with your wins in order for others (working on similar issues) to be able to
look over your virtual shoulder.

Doing this also helps to take abstract electrical troubleshooting theory & turn it into real-world empirical
testing/repair results. These trucks are very rugged, and while most of the normal maintenance/wear
items have been replaced over the years, after ~21-35 years of use the original GMT400 wiring harnesses are
starting to show their age.

Anything we can do as a collective group to share a successful electrical troubleshooting/repair strategy
will help those who obviously share our appreciation of these machines.

And I have to admit that when I read your original post I was thinking that you and your 'low low price of free' truck
would be an ideal combo to demonstrate that with the right focus the GMT400 electrical issues can be methodically
chased down & fixed -- just like that El Camino you referenced. (!)

No pressure, no need to rush with the reports -- shoot, we have build/rebuild threads covering a big project
stretching literally weeks/months/years in here, and IMHO it's some of the best reading of all. I have
learned so much I wasn't planning on while looking for something else...happens all the time in here. :)

Happy Hunting. Looking forward to seeing your ongoing progress reports.

Cheers --

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you could do us all a big favor, as you sort through the electrical issues on your truck,
please report back here with your wins in order for others (working on similar issues) to be able to
look over your virtual shoulder.
For sure! There's nothing more annoying than crawling through a thread for answers and never actually getting any. I've been in Kentucky for the past couple days and I don't get back to STL until next Sunday so I haven't been able to look at the poor truck, but the moment I do, I'll report back with my findings on whether or not just cleaning grounds helped. God, I hope it does. It's not really all that necessary but it sure would be nice to have OEM gauges instead of wiring in some Autozone specials.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaning all the grounds on these old trucks is always the best place to start...especially
since most folks steer clear of the electrical system/give it a good leaving alone. :0)

By the way, if you are receptive to cheating, aircraft-style, consider adding internal-tooth
lockwashers to your grounds. No doubt this might offend some restoration purists, but
I've gotten the best results over the years using these. (Not the external-tooth ones, and
not 'close enough' in size, but exact fit for best results.) Along these lines: LINK

Otherwise, just renewing the connections to factory original will no doubt give you another
decade or two of reliable service, so this is also a valid approach -- either is way better
than ignoring them. :0)

Of course, verifying good conductivity post cleanup with your ohmmeter will help to avoid
second-guessing down the road if we end up fixing 5 or 6 issues outright, but end up with
1 remaining head-scratcher requiring additional sleuthing.

Safe travels --

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, if you are receptive to cheating, aircraft-style, consider adding internal-tooth
lockwashers to your grounds. No doubt this might offend some restoration purists, but
I've gotten the best results over the years using these. (Not the external-tooth ones, and
not 'close enough' in size, but exact fit for best results.) Along these lines: LINK

Safe travels --
That's not cheating,that's necessary! I wish they sold them by the 55 gallon drum.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It helps to come here and run your questions past the forum, bigger network of people, better chance of someone having solved that problem you are having. Many times people get some things to try , but never come back and let us know if it worked or what was the right answer. I have been guilty of doing that, but am trying to help when I can. Have to always be open to learning something new, none of us knows everything.