New guy, old Forest Service truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markbt73

Reaction score
Try driving a 66 K10 with an SM420. 7:1 granny low, a 4 speed transmission with a very low first gear for crawling. Always start out in second gear, which is 3.58:1, same as the SM465.
Yep, I used to work for a place that had a shop truck (C20 maybe?) about that old, so it was probably the same gearbox. That non-hydraulic clutch was a workout. No power steering or brakes, either. Worse, this particular truck had such rusty seat tracks that you couldn't adjust it; half the guys could barely reach the pedals, and the other half (me included) had the steering wheel in our laps. But it was always available if you needed a truck, while the other truck (F250 automatic) was always in use...

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Nice truck. Reminds me of my last truck. I had an ‘87 square body that belonged to the City of Denver, water department. I got it from an auction.