New guy, first post and it's not a good one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It takes very little to total out one of these trucks. Any more than about $2000 of damage, will total out most GMT 400s. Thing is, you could fix that your self for a lot less. My truck is worth a lot more than it could be totaled out for. The people who look at a damaged or wrecked car or truck, only look at the book value and do the numbers from there. Very few look at the real value of the truck.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Unfortunately you may need to take the totaled value... BUT since you bought it so recently and if you paid more than what the totaled value is you should be able to get your money back from what you paid for it.

LUNCHBOX16

Reaction score
Just to wrap up this story here is the ending of all of this.
Insurance company valued the truck at $8,000 so it was not totaled with the first quote from the body shop. Insurance company did not agree with the estimate and was going to give $1000 less, then minus deductible blah blah blah. What this means is the insurance company was sending me a check for $3000. Immediately after the tire shop offered me $3500 to call off insurance claim. So I took the 3500 and deposited it asap. The truck is done. Frame is bent and pre existing rust is not helping with this current damage. My GMT 400 ownership was very short lived, 1 month and 40 miles. Keeping my eyes peeled for a new truck, fingers crossed.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Immediately after the tire shop offered me $3500 to call off insurance claim. So I took the 3500 and deposited it asap.

So they went from "not our fault it's an old truck just live with it" to $3,500. WTF can't people just own up to their screw ups and save all the drama. Pet peeve of mine when you have to go through all the crap you did just to get what should have been offered because it was the right thing to do and own up. Glad you got reimbursed, sad you lost your truck to negligence.

Reaction score
Get a good lawyer. I can’t recall where, want to say Michigan, maybe Minnesota, but there was a case very similar to this were a woman went in to her local garage for a tire change. The tech swapped out the tires and put the lugs on, but did not tighten them.
Needless to say about a mile down the road her tires came off.

The judge actually ruled in the garages favor simply because the service performed “tire change” doesn’t speak to the lugs being tightened. Stupid call? You bet, but in any court case I’m sure they’ll draw reference to this.

For personal reference, I had a shop change out my rear diff cover and fluid while I was on vacation. Picked it up and about 15 miles down the road parked to see the fluid coming out rapidly. Only half the bolts had been tightened. You better believe my truck was towed from my house back to that garage, and then towed back to me after it was properly done. Be assertive and get them to fix that ****.