New from IL - 93 GMC 1500, swb, 2wd, 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keviiin

Reaction score
Hello all! I stumbled on this site today so I figured I should join as I have a few questions to pick your brains with and will probably have more in the future. Story goes: Since last fall I was looking for a daily driver to use for the winter so I could get my other car out of the salt and snow (1995 Lincoln Mark VIII which explains my user name). I searched and searched craigslist and autotrader and just couldn't find anything decent for a good price..wasn't really sure what I wanted at first then I decided I had to get back into a GM truck. Back in 2002 when I got my license I inherited my dad's 93 GMC 1500 w/t 4.3 V6 which I drove for about two years before I eventually sold it for another car. Ever since then I regretted selling it for how problem free of a truck it was. He bought it new in 93 and handed the keys over to me with 67K miles on it in 02...not bad for a 9 year old truck at the time. Throughout the whole time of ownership up till about 85K miles all we ever had to do to it was basic maintenance (brakes, tires, oil, plugs, exhaust system once and a brake line) was a solid awesome truck. So finally this past May I came across my current truck for sale at a local Ford dealer (go figure). I ended up buying it for $4000 out the door with 111,999 miles on it..which was a little more than I had hoped to spend since it was from a dealer, but worth it in my opinion. The truck is a 93 GMC 1500 SLE regular cab short bed, 2WD 350 automatic, its a fairly solid truck for its age and being from the Chicago area all its life. It has a little rust here and there but really nothing too noticable yet. The dealer did a half assed bondo job on the bottom of the drivers door and passenger side fender to cover up the rust and repainted them as well as the roof and hood..probably due to fading. Overall though its a good looking 20 year old truck and it runs and drives like a champ..it has obviously been well cared for and maintained for how well it runs. From what I can tell it has new plugs, wires, brakes, tires, water pump and probably a new fuel pump since it appears the tank has been dropped before..(has a newer hose clamp on the filler neck).

So far all I've done is replace the non working factory radio with an alpine unit with a dash kit and threw in some new pioneer front speakers to replace the old ones that also didn't work anymore. Then polished the headlights and removed the ugly pinstripe that the dealer threw on it, however in the process kind of messed up the paint on the passenger side fender they repainted due to poor prep work underneath..so I'll have to touch that up. So basically I'm doing exactly what I didn't want to do with this truck..and that's start CARING about it lol..but hey I like taking care of my stuff I guess.

I really don't have many plans to modify it at all aside from just fixing little stuff here and there and maintenance to keep it running well. There are a few quirks about it that I'll have to post questions about in the appropriate thread, but I know for sure that it needs cab mount bushings on the drivers side as they are falling apart and causing a very bumpy noisy ride.

Anyway here are a few pics..sorry for the long winded post...ENJOY!

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the other car if anyone cares or appreciates something different..it's a clean car and I have alot of time and money into it, so you can probably understand why I don't want to see it rust away...HATE RUST!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Welcome from your northern neighbor. Nice lookin rides.

Tyler/T-Unit

keviiin

Reaction score
Hey, thanks guys! does anyone by chance know what the color code for my truck is? I did some reading up on the glove box sticker to find out which rpo code was the color but the area where the code is supposed to be printed on the sticker is blank on mine. I know on the two tone trucks it will say U and some numbers and L and some numbers for the upper and lower colors however since mine is a solid color it is supposed to only have a "U" followed by numbers. On mine next to "basecoat/clearcoat" it says U9792, is this the paint code? because when I look it up in the rpo code finder it lists "U97" as a 7 speaker system. Here's my sticker, any help is appreciated.

1ATony

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here.

Tony