New daily Suburban drop and wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A belltech rear kit will work good. The lines run on top of the frame rail kinda. It’s pretty straightforward install. Best bet is to find my family cruiser thread and look through the pics. I don’t have any one this phone.
I looked through your family cruiser thread .. didn’t see any illustrations showing the inner side of the passenger Cnotch
“Heater lines” over notch.
So you used the djm notch is that the rounded style notch ? or does it angle up then straight across?
I just wasn’t sure if all the lines flex enough to re-route with the shape of the notch. Wasn’t sure even from the get go if rear ac suburban could utilize a c notch .
That’a been the only deterrent

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a djm kit for the rear when I first lowered it but as of right now the only thing left is the djm notch. Hind sight, belltech would have been better.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a djm kit for the rear when I first lowered it but as of right now the only thing left

I used a djm kit for the rear when I first lowered it but as of right now the only thing left is the djm notch. Hind sight, belltech would have been better.
I literally am stupid I was under the assumption all the heater lines ran inside the passenger frame rail , they actually channel along the rocker panels when I got under to look today . Nothing is in the way of a Notch besides the fuel lines etc on drivr side

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I literally am stupid I was under the assumption all the heater lines ran inside the passenger frame rail , they actually channel along the rocker panels when I got under to look today . Nothing is in the way of a Notch besides the fuel lines etc on drivr side
18 something years ago, had a customer with a gmt400 suburban that wanted marine speakers installed under his back bumper. The amps were installed under the second row seat. I decided that the best place to run the speaker wires out from the inside to the outside was through the wire trough underneath the passenger side sill plate into the rocker. I quickly learned that the a/c and heater lines for the rear hvac system, run along parallel directly underneath that sill inside the rocker. I also learned, to LOOK before you drive a 1/2” drill bit at full force through sheet metal. A face full of liquid refrigerant and very hot antifreeze is a good teacher. :anitoof:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update, I would use a belltech rear kit. I have had to modify the djm flip to work better with the helper bags. I wouldn’t have had to do that with a belltech rear kit.
One thing worth noting, and I’m not sure if it’s covered anywhere . If I’m not mistaken there are two major design differences in the axle brackets or should I say a known flaw In the design on the belltech axle flip bracket particularly, which may be personal opinion. And they may have changed the design by now “doubt it “
I’ve heard they can and actually seen a few instances where over time they can rip the axle perch welds out due to the tension of the flip bracket and U bolts / with suspension travel over time, even tho that’s always been the traditional flip design for ever . That scenario may be more prone to happening on old Rusted out Differentials.
It shows the difference here between the two ways belltech and djm make their particular flip bracket and how belltech sits under the perch and djm wraps around the perch . Djm design is superior in my opinion ,so it’s a flip flop with flip kit parts between both companies. Belltech c notch I hear are better choice but I like the djm axle brackets .
Plus djm offers 3” drop shackle and hangers for additional adjustment “ belltech doesn’t ! Or you can go further belltech offers
“drop leafs “ which is another preferred drop method , Djm doesn’t . Just my adding my 2cnts on the flip kit mostly here
You must be registered for see images attach

DJM^
You must be registered for see images attach

Belltech ^

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a tech question for someone who’s done it first hand. Djm states they say the flip literally throws the suburban at 7” drop with the vehicle settled and it “sucks” they say . It limits suspension travel “ Even with the Notch” You have about 2-3 inches in room before axle slap
Is that the case can you run the burb with the flip without lifting it back with the supplied 2” lift shackles in the kit , just because they say it’s a better ride ? or what’s the lowest you can go literally including the notch in place and flip kit in place ? I’ve heard 7-9 drop with these flips right off the bat and you still dont hit frame

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Djm flips suck, they are bulky and the bolts loosen over time.

The belltech is the OG flip and it works great every time.

My burb is around 8in in the rear, I did the complete djm flip and removed the helper leaf. As stated before i removed the djm flip completely and went with belltech to clear my helper bags. Changing flips didn’t affect ride height. There is a bolt that goes through the drive shaft tunnel that you will need to cut or it rubs the drive shaft. Another thing is the shocks that came with the djm kit where to long even with the supplied extension. I ended up measuring shocks and ordered a different set.

So long story short, belltech would be the better option

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Djm flips suck, they are bulky and the bolts loosen over time.

The belltech is the OG flip and it works great every time.

My burb is around 8in in the rear, I did the complete djm flip and removed the helper leaf. As stated before i removed the djm flip completely and went with belltech to clear my helper bags. Changing flips didn’t affect ride height. There is a bolt that goes through the drive shaft tunnel that you will need to cut or it rubs the drive shaft. Another thing is the shocks that came with the djm kit where to long even with the supplied extension.

Is the belltech notch any better over djm or any other ?
My main question at hand was with just knowing if a flip kit with helper spring removed no helper air bag does the Notch ln place still clear the differential? No axle slap at 8” drop with just a flip and c notch ?

I’m trying to decide on whether to skip a flip kit and attempt 4” drop leafs with 3” djm drop shackle and hanger . I mean at that point I could just flip kit but I hear the drive is smoother with drop leafs.
There are so many combinations and mix match ways to achieve a 7-8” as well as avoiding a flip kit… some people find them difficult..Not necessarily myself I’ll dive right in , I just want the most cost effective and stable ride with the lowest drop possible I’ll be staying on 15-17” rally style wheels or stocks also

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hangers are not a good time. Unless you’re a mas0chist…