New, and need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the engine revs up easily but doesn't pick up speed as it revs up makes it sound like the clutch is slipping.

tjhooker66

Reaction score
Yeah 8mph in 1st does sound a little bit like NV4500 ;) but it's easy to tell if you look underneath and see those covers on either side of the case. The only other trans you'd find in a GMT400 that has those is the SM465 granny low 4 speed that was available only for the first few years of GMT400's (and previous body styles.)

The NV4500 does suffer synchro (blocking ring) failures once they get some miles on them, but they also can suffer if people use the wrong lube. Too many "it'll be fine with (whatever brand)" posts out there that are bad information. The factory-installed carbon fiber blocking rings require use of the specified lube - GM Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant, part # 12346190 - or its Mopar equivalent. Other lubes you're taking an expensive risk. Now there are aftermarket parts that are just bronze and any appropriate lube for those can be used (check the GL spec for what is OK with "yellow metals") but only if you're sure you know what all is in your trans.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
It is the NV4500 just crawled under there and checked

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind, these trucks have hydraulic clutch pedal systems in them. If you rest your foot on the clutch pedal you are reducing the amount of pressure that is applied to the clutch disc.

tjhooker66

Reaction score
I like to think I'm pretty good about not touching touching the clutch unless I'm shifting. But considering my truck is currently in a parking lot and doesn't move in any gear I'm pretty sure it was the clutch going out. Yay

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, sounds like clutch. I feel your pain. I put all new stuff in my NV3500 and within 2 months I had a throwout bearing chatter. Only when cold starting, but it is annoying.