Need some power steering help... Never replaced a PS pump before.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus98

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have a 98 K1500 Z71 Silverado with 162000 miles. I was moving us into our new house this weekend, and my truck didn't make it very far. I had a hissing noise coming from the power steering pump the week before but checked the fluid level and it was fine, no leaks so I elected to wait till after the move to replace the pump. I picked up the trailer on Friday and while hauling empty on the first load the pump failed pretty catastrophically. I was climbing a hill and the truck downshifted. Within 30 seconds smoke was billowing out from under the truck. So I got off the next exit and pulled over.

The high pressure hose was blown clear off just passed the transition from steel to rubber and there was fluid everywhere. I nursed it the last mile to the old apartment. Upon further inspection, the pump was fried... it actually melted the dipstick on the cap.

So after trying 2 different pumps that didn't fit and learning my truck has the EVO module set-up, I got the right pump yesterday. New pressure hose, new pump, all back together and still no power steering.

So we have one of two things going on... I think I didn't bleed this system right. I lifted the truck up and turned the wheels back and forth multiple times... but I think in my extreme exhaustion I put the cap on before as someone explained the process poorly. Started the truck up, pump whined a little and I shut if off. Put the truck on the ground and no power steering so I shut the truck off. Only other option if I didn't screw the bleeding up, is it possible for there to be a blockage in the steering gear box? It was replaced last January by a mechanic. Can a PS pump fail so catistrophically that it sends debris into the gear box causing a blockage and then the pressure line to blow off?

don't know much about steering systems... Please help!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just did a steering box in a 97 tahoe for a guy after installing it i just filled it an kept turning it and checking fluid till it was full with the cap off other than that i didnt bleed anything just worked it left and right

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure you got ALL of the brakets and everything on there, over the weekend we found out who ever did the new pump on you 88 didnt put a bracket because the new pump comes with a flat bolt and the original had a stud with a braket on it, it sheared off 2 bolt heads so they are stuck in the block, it causeed it to throw belts and shreaded a brand new belt in like 4 miles. i would sugest trying to rebleed the pump

Maximus98

Reaction score
I yeah I made sure to swap the stock bolts into the holes that those flat head bolts came on the reman unit.

Maximus98

Reaction score
Well I did the correct bleeding procedure last night and no change. I even loosened the pressure hose at the steering gear box and started the motor for a couple of seconds and the pump is definitely making pressure because fluid shot into the air. I'm thinking the steering gear box is trashed too... :thumbsdown:

Maximus98

Reaction score
Hey did you need a pitman arm separator tool for the steering box or is it on a spline shaft and a nut?