Need some help with my A/C PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Just so we're clear... The one with working A/C and door motors with the blower OFF is the one with the fried pin 5 on the circuit mylar, right? And the one that nothing works on is not burnt anywhere?

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just so we're clear... The one with working A/C and door motors with the blower OFF is the one with the fried pin 5 on the circuit mylar, right? And the one that nothing works on is not burnt anywhere?
So the HVAC controls on there now are the ones purchased at a junkyard. In very very good condition. Worked for 30 mins then stopped (with current symptoms) Then I realized The Mylar has a burned spot. So I took the Mylar off old controls With fried blower plug (verified they were exact same) and put it on current hvac controls that are from the junk yard. Re connected everything and still the same problem. I removed controls again to see if it burned my new Mylar off the old controls but it didn’t. Also while doing all this switching I’ve checked all fuses multiple times and fuses have never been blown. Does that help? Or did I make it more confusing. THanks again for you time guys. I checked the hot wires to the blower controls and position selector controls today with volt meter. Both were just under 12v

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
No, that indeed clears up a bit. So your current set is new blower switch, old (unburned) mylar and circuit. Blower OFF, everything works like it's only supposed to when the blower is ON. When the blower is ON, nothing works (except the 1-2-3 speed on the blower itself, you still have no high-blower).

What a mess.

Just to verify 100% that this is not caused by the switching transistor... I would turn on the blower, then take a pair of needle-nose pliers and touch the two outer contacts of this transistor circled in red.

You must be registered for see images attach

See if the doors / Recirc / A/C works when you do that.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man. Did it do this before you removed the dash and hvac core?
That’s the thing. I don’t know. When I bought it 5 years ago it needed to be charged. So I never used it, got it charged then was told it needed a compressor, saved money bought a remanufactured compressor, it imploded filled everything with aluminum shavings and then here I am years later and have everything new and BANG. I was wondering the same thing. Because when I put everything back together I couldn’t get the radio to work at all! I’ve followed all the wires under the dash and looked for a short and checked all the harnesses. I mean I’ve spent hours doing all that. I feel like when I removed the dash, I messed up some wires leading to the firewall but I don’t see any issues. Previous owner was old millionaire who bought it brand new. It has 230,000 miles and runs great. He babied it. I can’t afford to take it to a mechanic. I bought it for $800 because it would t start. I jump started it and never had an issue since.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm gonna have to sit on this one. I'm definitely leaning towards a short or burnt wire. Just dont get how it can fry the electronics without blowing fuses. If you look at the engine bay and under the motor you made sure no wires are burnt, missing, touching metal right?