Need some help with cable lengths for big 3+ upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goatman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im away from my truck or any obs model chevy for that matter. I need lengths on cables for doing the big 3+ upgrades.

I wanna do all the ground cables and power cables and from the start and alt as well. I only ask for the help cause I have access to the wire to do it wire where Im at working. Even have permission from the owner and my boss. Helps they are hotrod and offroad guys. Just cant find lengths for the cables for the life of me.

Thanks

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy making the big 3 upgrade is probably not going to tell you, because he took the time to take measurements and does it as a side hustle. The rest of us don't have the measurements handy. I replaced my starter cable yesterday, and I didn't measure it. I had a replacement cable that was already about the correct length, so why bother? If you want to DIY the big 3, you're going to have to take the cables off one at a time, measure them, and make your own.

Goatman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, didn't know anyone here was making them. Then again didn't search when I made this and was bored last night.

Might not even be worth the trouble to do. I don't have nothing crazy in my truck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find the existing cables.

Before you remove them, perform a voltage drop test on each one. Turn on whatever accessories, or load the battery as needed to promote max current flow through the cable during testing.

First Guess: Not enough voltage drop to make a difference.

Second Guess: Any that do have excess VD can have both ends cleaned--and the items they attach to--which will restore proper continuity. If not, the cable may be corroded internally. Replacing (only) those cables makes sense.

Third Guess: You'll spend less time, and way less money by testing/cleaning your cables, replacing only the ones that actually failed as you would by replacing them all, and achieve the same functional results.