Need some help/advice front passenger side axle shaft bearing and seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 rcsb k1500, I need to replace the roller bearing in front axle tube. I have the tube out of the truck. I have seen videos on web where people beat down on the flange to knock the axle shaft loose. Is that the best way to get it out, is there a snap ring or something that needs to be removed? Also, what is the easiest method to remove the old seal and bearing and install the new bearing and seal? Thanks in advance for any replies.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axle shaft is held in by a spring clip on the shaft and is inside the clutch gear. You can use a dead-blow hammer or slide hammer on the flange, it shouldn’t be terribly tight. I think GM service manual actually says to use brass drift against axle flange. Seal will pop out fairly easy with a pry bar and I would suggest a 3-jaw puller (inside type) on a slide hammer for the bearing. You can also drive it out from the back side with a long punch or similar.

EDIT: I forgot to add installing the bearing and seal is best done with a bearing/race driver, but there are other methods. Be sure to check the axle shaft for damage where the bearing rides.

Last edited:

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah a few taps and it popped out. The bearing looks good. I thinks it is out of round seems to have more edge exposed in certain areas around it on the tube side