need help with keyless entry installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just joined the forum and I have to say, what an awesome resource it is. Great info and great people. My question has to do with a Bulldog Security remote start/keyless entry that I'm installing. Model RS1200. Got the remote start working. That was easy. What's killing me is the door locks. It's in a '89 Silverado 2-door. I've got the correct relays and have it wired as follows: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/pdf/typec.htm.

For the lock and unlock wires, I'm using lt. blue and black with white tracer. It's supposed to be black with a red tracer, but the red changes to white where the door harness connects next to the boot. I'm accessing the wires via the passenger side speaker, behind the firewall insulation. Are these the correct wires? When using the buttons on the doors, the locks work fine. When I try to use the remote locks, it keeps blowing the fuse for the +12 constant to the relays. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum! I would recommend accessing the wires from the drivers side, by removing the front speaker in the dash. You will find that the lock harness runs right to the front (windshield side) of the speaker hole. Your going to want to probe the wire(s) to find which is which, and then cut them in half. You will then proceed to wire it as the diagram you linked shows. It is VERY important that you do not use any crimp connectors, and that you have a VERY good ground for the unit. Failing to do either of those will lead to problems now or in the future, you will want to solder every wire when installing one of these to prevent problems and headache down the road!

Now if you are blowing fuses, I would start by checking your power wire from the relay to the fuse block to make sure it hasn't got accidentally bared someplace and is shorting out when you close the circuit by pressing the remote button and triggering the relays. Also check your connections at the relays to ensure that you didn't accidentally put a wire on a wrong terminal. Another possibility is that the supplied relays are faulty, you could test this by simply swapping in a known good relay. I would start there and then eliminate the possibilitys!

f3joel

Reaction score
Also check that the motor and switch wires didn't get reversed, pretty sure mine was popping fuses when I had them backwards

Reaction score
f3joel, you hit the nail right on the head. I simply had terminals 87a and 30 reversed on both relays. Everything works just fine now. I'm super happy that I don't have to fumble around with my keys in the rain anymore. lol. Thank you both very much for the help.

Josh