Need Help with 88 Chevy K1500 Pickup; blows gauge fuse and quits running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyrestorm

Reaction score
Need Help...please!? BTW, I am new here so please tell me if I am posting incorrectly. :)

Anyway I was driving my truck the other day and my gauges quit working and the headlamp warning sound went off. I pulled over and found that the fuse had blown for the gauges and replaced it. That solved the problems only temporarily, as I have kept blowing fuses periodically over the last several days. Last night the vehicle blew the fuse and then started running poorly and died before I could pull over. The vehicle restarted only with jumper cables and then ran only for a minute or so before dying again. Today I had the battery and alternator tested. The battery was bad, and the alternator was fine. Bought a new battery and re-installed the alternator as well a cleaning the battery cable terminals. The vehicle started but blew the gauge fuse immediately; the truck did get me home (about 20 minutes away) but was running poorly by the time I got there.

I am wondering if a poorly attached oil pressure sending unit wire could be the problem, as I damaged the attachment area of the sensor and that wire is not seated particularly well? I am going to clean and re-attach the ground from the battery to the chassis tomorrow morning. After that I am out of ideas.

Possibly related:
Engine Running poorly since Head Gasket replaced by shop 4 months ago. Ever since then the Service Engine Light comes on when engine is under load. Throws code 43
-Replaced ESC valve. (no change)
-This code 43 issue is unresolved but does not seem to me to be related.
Replaced Distributor Cap, Plugs, Points and condenser with the Head Gasket service. (not distributor wires)
Replaced starter 3 months ago.
-Damaged oil sending unit so the wire is now loose.

This is my primary vehicle as well as my favorite toy. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Fyre

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with code 43 being set check the esc timing wire that is in the wireing loom under the power distribution cover. Also There is no such thing as an ESC valve.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
oil sender wire would not cause the issue of fuse blowing, that sender works by creating a ground at varying resistance to operate the gauge so if you completely grounded the wire it would just pin the needle full pressure.

the poor performance is only when the fuse blows???

clean the ground wires at the thermostat housing, those are for the injection and ignition module, when they get bad it causes all kinds of gremlins

Last edited:

Fyrestorm

Reaction score
Yep, I meant ESC module :) I am a body guy, so now that is out of the way I need to show my ignorance. What does the esc timing wire look like, how do I know that I have found it, and what specifically am I checking it for? I know that I should know this, but I don't.

Fyrestorm

Reaction score
oil sender wire would not cause the issue of fuse blowing, that sender works by creating a ground at varying resistance to operate the gauge so if you completely grounded the wire it would just pin the needle full pressure.

the poor performance is only when the fuse blows???

No, it actually seems like it runs a little better with no fuse...or at least the engine idles a little faster. As of today, the fuse blows almost instantly. But the problem does seem to be getting worst.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I meant ESC module :) I am a body guy, so now that is out of the way I need to show my ignorance. What does the esc timing wire look like, how do I know that I have found it, and what specifically am I checking it for? I know that I should know this, but I don't.

It is the wire that you unplug to set base timing of the motor. It is a single wire that is brown with a black tracer.

Make sure it's not corroded and is making a good connection.

Sent from somewhere in MN

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Just a thought, because electrical knowledge is the one thing I wish I had but I lack dearly... maybe you should check the ground?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score

timing wire is brown with a black stripe small black connector, you unplug it when setting timing( set to 0) , without it plugged in the ecm will not adjust the timing

Fyrestorm

Reaction score
Just a thought, because electrical knowledge is the one thing I wish I had but I lack dearly... maybe you should check the ground?

Thanks, I was planning to check the ground from the battery to the frame first thing in the morning. After that, I am out of ideas.