Need Help: NV4500 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironfireman

Reaction score
I'm needing to replace the fluid in my NV4500. I'm stuck on which brand to go with. I'm leaning towards AMSoil, but I'd have to order it. All I have near me is Royal Purple and Lucas. Whats the better brand? Need help fast, thanks!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GM Synthetic Transmission Lubricant, part # 12346190. And nothing else. Dunno why people would risk their NV4500 with non-specified fluid. Good luck trying to get Amsoil to pay for your rebuild.

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
GM Synthetic Transmission Lubricant, part # 12346190. And nothing else. Dunno why people would risk their NV4500 with non-specified fluid. Good luck trying to get Amsoil to pay for your rebuild.

Richard
100% accurate. NV4500s are designed for specific fluid due to their syncros. Anything else and you will damage them, period.

My first NV4500 I ran Amsoil in. Never again. It shifted like crap. Put new syncros in it and GM fluid, no problems since.

Ironfireman

Reaction score
Update: I called my located GM Dealer, its $32. a quart! Yikes. But its cheaper than replacing a manual transmission, lol.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put amsoil in my 92 nv4500 and shifted significantly better than it had been since i've owned it, no issues at all.

However when I put it in my EVO it shifted much worse, especially in cold weather. I had to replace that fluid within 100 miles.
(I'm referencing a vehicle other than a gmt400 because amsoil recommended the same fluid for both).

You're always safe with factory recommended fluid.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I bought it; got it at a local dealer for around $25/quart. Try some different dealers. Also try the Dodge dealer; their part # for it is # 4874459 - same stuff. It's Castrol Syntorq LT (not to be confused with Syntec, a motor oil) which was formulated for NV and private-labeled to GM and Mopar. As hard as I've tried I've never found it in a Castrol bottle, only 1 little pic on the internet, and a 4 wheel parts place that looks like they're selling portions out of a 55 gallon drum and not sure if I trust 'em. :D

Richard

Ironfireman

Reaction score
I found some on Amazon from AC Delco for $20 a piece. My concern is it has two numbers on the Label. The first larger number is: 10-4059. The second smaller number is: 12346190. Does this sound correct. I can send a picture if needed.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Check ebay too, sometimes its a little cheaper on there. Thats usually where I get mine. Some sellers will bundle 3 or 4 quarts together for a slight discount as well.