Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need help deciding whether I'm in deep trouble or okay to continue. I own a 1992 GMC Sierra with a single cab and a short bed. Recently, I had my 700R4 rebuilt and it's been working great. However, my speedometer stopped working, so I replaced the VSS magnetic sensor. It worked fine until one day my speedometer started to jump and then failed altogether. I bought a new sensor, but I installed it a little too loosely, so the speedometer would jump partially. I got under the truck and gave it a couple of good taps and pressed it in with my palm. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes and took it for a test drive. I heard the output shaft, where the VSS is located, start to grind, so I drove it back to my driveway. Upon inspecting the VSS sensor, I saw that I had chipped off a bit of the metal, and my VSS gear wheels seemed to be a little stripped. The fluid that came out seemed fine, although I did see a little black from the plastic of the sensor, and there were definitely little metal sparkles from where the metal of the VSS sensor meets the VSS gear wheel. So, should I be concerned? Should I take it to a shop and have them replace my VSS gear? I assume no, but I wanted to ask any 700R4 experts what they would do. I let most of the fluid drain and scraped out any remaining fluid that seemed contaminated, and the VSS gear wheels didn't seem to be completely distorted. I'm going to put a brand new sensor in today , but only lightly tap it in to make sure I don't end up letting my VSS gear grind against my VSS sensor.

More

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need help deciding whether I'm in deep trouble or okay to continue. I own a 1992 GMC Sierra with a single cab and a short bed. Recently, I had my 700R4 rebuilt and it's been working great. However, my speedometer stopped working, so I replaced the VSS magnetic sensor. It worked fine until one day my speedometer started to jump and then failed altogether. I bought a new sensor, but I installed it a little too loosely, so the speedometer would jump partially. I got under the truck and gave it a couple of good taps and pressed it in with my palm. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes and took it for a test drive. I heard the output shaft, where the VSS is located, start to grind, so I drove it back to my driveway. Upon inspecting the VSS sensor, I saw that I had chipped off a bit of the metal, and my VSS gear wheels seemed to be a little stripped. The fluid that came out seemed fine, although I did see a little black from the plastic of the sensor, and there were definitely little metal sparkles from where the metal of the VSS sensor meets the VSS gear wheel. So, should I be concerned? Should I take it to a shop and have them replace my VSS gear? I assume no, but I wanted to ask any 700R4 experts what they would do. I let most of the fluid drain and scraped out any remaining fluid that seemed contaminated, and the VSS gear wheels didn't seem to be completely distorted. I'm going to put a brand new sensor in today , but only lightly tap it in to make sure I don't end up letting my VSS gear grind against my VSS sensor.

More

Install it, take it for a drive and see what happens. Worst case if you need to replace the gear (not likely), just take off the driveline, ext housing and use a long puller to yank the gear off and install a new one using a piece of pipe of the appropriate dimensions along with socket on the end to tap it on.

Id prob drop the pan to see if there's bits in there - clean them out if so though the magnet in the pn should catch and hold them.

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
Install it, take it for a drive and see what happens. Worst case if you need to replace the gear (not likely), just take off the driveline, ext housing and use a long puller to yank the gear off and install a new one using a piece of pipe of the appropriate dimensions along with socket on the end to tap it on.

Id prob drop the pan to see if there's bits in there - clean them out if so though the magnet in the pn should catch and hold them.
Thank you very much for your response i just got done installing it and letting it warm up right now. Hopefully, my clumsy self didn't over do it and strip another sensor hope everything works out fine.

Vddiaz94

Reaction score
Update: I just got back from my test drive everything went well almost no play in the speedometer and it fell smoothly. I didn't hear any unusual sounds or grinding from my VSS and shifts seemed to be in working order. Lastly, the odometer seems to be working correctly as well, no check engine light either. I just hope I got rid of anything harmful but at least everything is in working condition. PS When I installed the new VSS the bracket was loose so it was hard to pull out the VSS once I pushed it into place. I wanted to pull it out till I could see the brown o ring seal to make sure I didn't push in all the way. Welp, a little bit i could barely see but no grinding no crazy play on speedo or Odo so ima calling this a win. If I ever have to replace this sensor its definitely gonna be a hassle. :(