Need advice on replacement engine: VCM5RC 4 Bolt Roller Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Well then, why does Summit Racing have this disclaimer on their website? I'm guessing it's not a direct replacement because it's taller. I have the same manifold and figured if I had to, I'd swap my OE one in every 2 years.

They are not fully informed. In CA, if it is a "replacement" part, it is legal for smog. A lot of times original part is not available, so "replacement" parts must be used. I was going to use my oem intake untill the plastic fitting just snapped off barely touching it. I opened my Edelbrock manifold to look over instructions and found the "replacement" part info. I am super happy as my Heads, Cam, Intake Manifold, and Headers are all legal for CA smog.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears to be front bearing lip from crank being pushed forward. The transmission was JUST replaced 500 miles before I bought it with a GM reman trans & converter. I'm going to assume damage was from previous transmission. This trans shifts smooth, and appears to operate just like a brand new one. While I'm in there, I'm adding a TCI Street Rodder Converter, TCI Forged track certified Flexplate, complete upgraded Corvette 1-2 & 3-4 servos, Sonnax line pressure booster kit, and Max Shift trans fluid. Also got a brand new AC DELCO harmonic balancer. Using all ARP bolts. The transmission cooler will be replaced as well.

I haven't taken off any bearing caps to inspect yet, but you can see where metal is coming from, and crank has excessive end play. Concentrating on getting truck running before I look into cause of failure.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears to be front bearing lip from crank being pushed forward.
If the crank is being pushed forward, it's the REAR lip of the thrust bearing that's going to wear, against the forward-facing thrust cheek of the crank.

As said previously, that sort of wear is often from excess pressure in the torque converter due to a restriction in the cooler circuit--tubes, cooler, fittings, etc.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the crank is being pushed forward, it's the REAR lip of the thrust bearing that's going to wear, against the forward-facing thrust cheek of the crank.

As said previously, that sort of wear is often from excess pressure in the torque converter due to a restriction in the cooler circuit--tubes, cooler, fittings, etc.

It's all been replaced except cooler, which I am replacing with engine.

CHEVYS4ME

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman makes a long-lasting replacement for that. Mine was replaced over twenty years ago, and was still in such good condition a couple of years ago that I re-used it on the new engine. About $10.
I'm putting the Edelbrock TBI manifold on it. Don't need to worry about it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you connecting the heater hose to that manifold?

For ****'s sake, do not use an adapter that doesn't have a restrictor inside. The OEM fitting is heavily restricted to keep from over-pressurizing the heater core. Some guys butcher the original hose, then clamp it to a plain ol' barbed connector. GM restricted the heater supply for a reason.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not fully informed. In CA, if it is a "replacement" part, it is legal for smog. A lot of times original part is not available, so "replacement" parts must be used.
That cut sheet from Edelbrock is a generic publication. Here's a direct answer from Edelbrock saying it "is not emissions legal in California".

I don't want to get into a pissing match, I'm just trying to help so you don't get busted when a knowledgeable referee tries to fine you for illegal equipment.