Need a softer ride for my stock 1992 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kernst52

Reaction score
Hello all,

We bought a 1992 stock 3/4 ton extra cab 2-wheel drive last summer to pull a 5000-lb trailer. I have a very touchy back and the ride is too rough for me to drive. It is the light 3/4 ton, less than 8500 gross. I replaced the shocks all around and that helped some. I can soften the rear by removing a leaf from the springs but I can feel the roughness from the road coming up through the front. Are there softer springs that I can put in the front? Any help would be appreciated. I am going to have to sell this truck if I can't soften the ride somehow.

Thanks.

Ken

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well , you did buy a 3/4 ton truck which say rough ride to begin with. If you ride empty you can adjust tire pressure to soften the ride and it might help some thats what im doing now and it helped a bunch. if you change out the springs you will change the ride height and i would not remove a leaf from the rear if you haul a trailer..

try the PSI and see how that works, my tires wear even now after dropping pressure and the ride is much smoother.

I used the chalk method which some say that dont work but...... it did for me.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This ^^^ !
My last 3/4 ton (8600 gvw) rode so rough, my sis wouldn't ride in it till I lowered the tire PSI. Said it made her boobs hurt (!)

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what he should lower the tire pressure too? He might like to know

kernst52

Reaction score
Ride to stiff

Why ply tires are on it?

Thanks for the quick response guys. I checked and they are load range E to carry 1380 pounds with 80 pounds pressure. They have 50-55 pounds in each. Great idea to lower the pressure.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can try putting in some 1/2 ton leaf spring with air bags in case you want to haul something heavy. For the front, maybe some 1/2 ton springs as well, that should soften the ride a lot.

kernst52

Reaction score
I have been on the phone with Coil Spring Specialties in Saint Marys, KS. They make coil springs from scratch. Gave them the GM part number for these stock springs. He said the spring rate for those is 1200 pounds, meaning it takes 1200 pounds to compress it 1 inch. He said those were stiff springs. They are going to make softer springs for me, lowering by 25% to 900 pounds. He said newer 1/2 tons have spring rates of 650 pounds or so in the front so this should get me a softer ride at 900 pounds. $205 to make the springs but I am trying to keep a truck I love. Only has 79K miles on it.

Ken