NBS Master Cylinder Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96taho

Reaction score
I totally agree-firm pedal, but not braking force I needed-I went back to the old MC

I Also did the NBS Master Cylinder Swap, But i did not hook up my ABS back up, and it’s been years since i drove a vehicle without ABS, it took some getting used too, and i wouldn’t let anyone else drive my tahoe after because i was worried they would panic and possibly have an accident, and your correct the pedals firm but it seems i got to really slam on it, and like you both stated, a few times i needed to stop immediately and it took about 10-15 seconds longer than in my newer vehicle and in an emergency situation that may be the difference in wrecking or not... ✌️

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Theres another possibility..... the abs system needed to be bleed or bypassed. If the system hasn't ran in a long time there may be a problem with it. So with a MC upgrade you need to bleed the ABS unit.... that alone could be responsible for improved braking. I dont know but something to think about.

Al

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the nbs mc is not a good mod for any of the brakes set up?
Well, I will tell you this. Im sure I have JB5 system. My brakes have always sucked in my 97. When I had my 93 WT, the brakes were grate. The MC swap helped on my 97 a lot. I didnt need the swap on my 93, so it never crossed my mine. There has been a debate on here since I joined this forum years ago. Maybe its a good swap for JB5 but not for others, IDK. There is no doubt it did firm up my peddle in my 97.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Kenny. My Sierra's booster is more rust than paint, I might harvest the entire system out of that tahoe while it's still sitting at a buddies. I can take anything I want for free except anything to do with a running engine...

Edit...
At least with the entire system with the proper length parts it should function perfect.

It was pretty damn scary when the vacume booster failed in my burb and it had hardly any rust on it. Changing it wouldnt be a bad idea and possibly upgrading the entire system could be a win win. For free I might add since I all ready have the adapter for the line and can harvest the mc, booster, parts n peddle.

Hmmmm I dunno, it's my farm truck LOL.

Al

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I will tell you this. Im sure I have JB5 system. My brakes have always sucked in my 97. When I had my 93 WT, the brakes were grate. The MC swap helped on my 97 a lot. I didnt need the swap on my 93, so it never crossed my mine. There has been a debate on here since I joined this forum years ago. Maybe its a good swap for JB5 but not for others, IDK. There is no doubt it did firm up my peddle in my 97.

Yeah it's been confusing lol.. I agree gm should of equipt the trucks with the proper set up. But now I'm curious what's the best mod
I was gonna put bigger wheel cylinders in the rear and bigger calipers in the front. But those are still oem style. Now I'm guessing I should leave the stock mc since I have 6 brakes lol

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for engineers, well they are just people like everyone else. They make mistakes, they are under time, budget factors, government regulations, ect. This is why there is aftermarket performance parts suppliers. I see it everyday. We scratch our heads at the machine shop, and ask why would you make something that way, when just a few changes would make it so much better. Then there is also the fact that none of the manufacturers what you to be able to work on your own vehicle any more. If you can fix it your self, they are loosing money.

Last edited: