NBS Master Cylinder Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyenne95

Reaction score
For many years I didn't have much coin, so I bought 'inexpensive' parts. Now, years later, I have a respectable paying job and I buy mostly ACDelco bits and pieces. I have yet to regret it.

Here's a tip: ACDelco covers more than one price range. If you are looking at two seemingly identical parts and one has the word 'Professional' in its name, that's the one the OEM used, and you'll be happier with it. It is typically the one that cost more too, but not always.

I highly recommend ACDelco parts for your GM, but do what best works for you and your budget.

Doesn't answer your MC question, and I apologize for that. I wanted to chime in with my free advice. Good looking rig. I've always liked the looks of the 2-door. Best of luck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did the swap on my 97 Silverado years ago. IMO, it is a big improvement over the OE MC. Yes, hydrobost is better, I know, but this is a simple swap that improved my brakes a lot. I pulled a MC off of a 2002 Tahoe @ pull a part. I wanted to make sure that everything was good before I bought new parts. Well here it is years latter, and Im still running the MC I got @ pull a part. Yes you need the brake line adaptor. As for you part numbers, well if it fits a 2002 Tahoe 1500, then it should fit your truck. What you listed does fit a 2002 Tahoe. Here is a pic of mine installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a tip: ACDelco covers more than one price range. If you are looking at two seemingly identical parts and one has the word 'Professional' in its name, that's the one the OEM used, and you'll be happier with it. It is typically the one that cost more too, but not always.

One small correction here, the ACDelco "Professional" line is not their OEM stuff. The OEM parts generally have no line description like "Professional" or "Advantage," just a part number. For example, here's a water pump for a '97 5.7L.

ACDelco OEM (251-719) ($140):
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-251-719-Original-Equipment-Gaskets/dp/B0014H9572

ACDelco Professional (252-711) ($40):
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-252-711-Professional-Water-Pump/dp/B000C9NPBA

Sometimes the OEM part is discontinued, and the Professional or Advantage series is all that's available from ACDelco. In those cases many times it's cheaper/smarter to do some research and buy aftermarket upgrades. The Professional and Advantage lines of ACDelco parts are almost always made by other manufacturers and re-boxed. For example, I'm 99% sure that the ACDelco Professional brake rotors/shoes for our trucks are actually manufactured by Raybestos.

I agree that sticking with ACDelco is generally the best bet, but I try to get the OEM parts and avoid the Professional or Advantage lines if I can. A good resource for finding the OEM ACDelco part numbers is this site, Wholesale GM Parts Online.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
One small correction here, the ACDelco "Professional" line is not their OEM stuff. The OEM parts generally have no line description like "Professional" or "Advantage," just a part number. For example, here's a water pump for a '97 5.7L.

ACDelco Professional (252-711) ($40):
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-252-711-Professional-Water-Pump/dp/B000C9NPBA

Sometimes the OEM part is discontinued, and the Professional or Advantage series is all that's available from ACDelco. In those cases many times it's cheaper/smarter to do some research and buy aftermarket upgrades. The Professional and Advantage lines of ACDelco parts are almost always made by other manufacturers and re-boxed. For example, I'm 99% sure that the ACDelco Professional brake rotors/shoes for our trucks are actually manufactured by Raybestos.

I agree that sticking with ACDelco is generally the best bet, but I try to get the OEM parts and avoid the Professional or Advantage lines if I can. A good resource for finding the OEM ACDelco part numbers is this site, Wholesale GM Parts Online.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/

Pretty much right on, but I will add there is nothing wrong with their professional line, top notch parts. The advantage line is crap and it's for people that shop only by prices and are unaware or unconcerned with quality differences.

If factory OEM is available I generally buy that, my second choice is always Delco Professional.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with their professional line, top notch parts. The advantage line is crap and it's for people that shop only by prices and are unaware or unconcerned with quality differences.

I agree, I haven't had any issues with the Professional line. I'm actually running some of those parts on both trucks. Recently I've developed an obsession with researching who makes the Professional parts and buying straight from that company, though. That's why I mentioned the brake stuff. The ACDelco Professional drums I'm running on my Suburban were around $60 each, and I found out after getting them on that I could've bought the exact same drums from Raybestos for around $40 each.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Some clarifications here.

"OEM" or "Original Equipment" is the line.

Sometimes the OEM part is discontinued, and the Professional or Advantage series is all that's available from ACDelco. In those cases many times it's cheaper/smarter to do some research and buy aftermarket upgrades. The Professional and Advantage lines of ACDelco parts are almost always made by other manufacturers and re-boxed.

Our trucks are old enough that most parts wont' be available in the OEM line. Many plants have been sold off, closed, or both. Most GM parts (going into today's vehicles) are made by outside suppliers.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"OEM" or "Original Equipment" is the line.

In that particular set of listings, yes. In my experience most places won't list them that way though. For example, here's that same OEM water pump on Summit instead of Amazon. No mention of "OEM" or "Original" anything, and it's listed primarily by the eight digit GM part number instead of the newer hyphenated ACDelco part number.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-251-719

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree, I haven't had any issues with the Professional line. I'm actually running some of those parts on both trucks. Recently I've developed an obsession with researching who makes the Professional parts and buying straight from that company, though. That's why I mentioned the brake stuff. The ACDelco Professional drums I'm running on my Suburban were around $60 each, and I found out after getting them on that I could've bought the exact same drums from Raybestos for around $40 each.

Amen, I found that out once shopping for brake pads. The $150 ones were actually $40 Raybestos ones reboxed!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amen, I found that out once shopping for brake pads. The $150 ones were actually $40 Raybestos ones reboxed!

Yup, even the expensive OEM GM/ACDelco parts are often re-boxed stuff from different manufacturers. What I will say though is I strongly believe that the OEM ACDelco stuff has better quality control than pretty much any other option on the market usually. Not even necessarily due to individual part inspection or testing before sale, but simply because someone (or some team) at GM is doing research to find a reliable and consistent supplier. It's not in their best interest to sign a contract with a manufacturer who's going to send them junk to box up and sell as their premium/OEM parts.

With something like brake pads where there's data that enables me to find something that's potentially equal to or better than OEM (like DOT pad/shoe codes) I have no issue shopping around and going with aftermarket parts. But when in doubt I try to stick to OEM ACDelco.

Sorry OP for turning this thread into a parts tier discussion!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What I will say though is I strongly believe that the OEM ACDelco stuff has better quality control than pretty much any other option on the market usually. Not even necessarily due to individual part inspection or testing before sale, but simply because someone (or some team) at GM is doing research to find a reliable and consistent supplier. It's not in their best interest to sign a contract with a manufacturer who's going to send them junk to box up and sell as their premium/OEM parts.

Suppliers get in deep doo doo if GM finds an issue with parts.... they get visits from GM, and can even get the suspension of the ability to bid on new work.