NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

GT BMH 98

Reaction score
I am looking at this upgrade at the same time I do steering/suspension refresh on my '98 Z-71.
Coveman, can you send the pictures/full first post to me?

To make sure I have read all this right, I need to locate knuckles, hubs, CV shafts from a '00-'05 silverado donor, choose brakes that fit wheels (i have a line on 18" wheels/tires for near same cost as stock 265/75-16 tires) meaning could go large rotors.

Thanks

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep, you got it. I did the front end overhaul too, got most everything from amazon (prime free returns), nothing was crazy expensive (a pair of new cv’s was like 130 bucks)

lower bj’s and pitman took a little elbow grease, i think that was about the hardest part. make sure you get a good (moog) idler, thats where a lot of the slop is on these trucks.

oh, and bleeding fronts isnt for sissies, id do the nbs master cylinder at the same time if youre going to do it to save some time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did the GMT800 master. If I were to do it again, I'd have used the GMT400 HD master. It's 39mm vs the GMT800 at 38mm IIRC. The 800 has a lot of takeup, at least in my truck. I'll be going with a GMT400 master on my hydroboost if I ever get around to the swap.

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've had a box of parts for my 89 for years- finally doing the front and rear K1500 conversion. Lets talk CV axles- the 89 knuckle has a inner seal that seals on the CV axle dust cover lip, the dust cover was lunched on mine so I proceeded to remove the whole deal off of the obs CV and screwed myself as I was going to install the obs seals in the nbs knuckles- will this even work as the nbs knuckle doesn't have the machined step register. How are the nbs hub bearing sealed against splash and dirt- are they getting decent service life out of the nbs hub bearings. So right now since this dust cover is not serviceable- do I get nbs cv, obs cv and bend the dust cover back (like I should have), or use these ones I have. Another question- the knuckles I am using just have a machined hole and the hub assembly is bolted on- is this as it should be or am I missing a seal.
The rear brakes, my 10 bolt has the rectangular bolt pattern- not the usual square. I have steel spacer plates, I was thinking about just slotting the axle flange bolt holes to fit....but now I am thinking of welding the steel spacers in the nbs orientation which would put the caliper where I prefer out of the muck and make life easier plumbing and cabling. What is your feedback.