My review of Xentec eBay HIDs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know one of the hot topic on this forum is what brand of HIDs to buy. There isn't much info on Xentecs, at least that I have seen, so I figured I'd post up my experience. I ordered a 35w 5000k (their whitest) low-beam kit with a cheap eBay wiring harness with the intention to install it all in my buddy's '05 Silverado.

First off, this kit is ROBUST. Seriously, all the wiring is very thick and everything feels VERY strong, including all the connector backs and weatherproof plugs. The ballasts themselves are TINY. I'm talking smaller than my debit card. Not even kidding! Here is a picture of the kit, the Remington knife is a tiny little pocket model, for size reference:

You must be registered for see images attach

My only problem with the physical kit itself was that the ballasts were VERY light. Maybe I'm used to my huge old-school DDM ballasts, but these things are virtually weightless in your hand. They are AWESOME to stash in a small spot under the hood, though!

I first installed them in my truck to make sure they work good with no problems. I connected them to my eBay harness and they fired right up! No annoying buzzing noise (like my DDMs) or flickering or anything. Here's a shot of the driver's side lit up (KEEP in mind, it was mid-day and BRIGHT outside):

NOW, here's where things got weird. Upon first fire-up, one of them lit up PURPLE. Yes, that's right, PURPLE. BUT, once they warmed up, they both rested on a nice, crisp white, same as advertised on the eBay pages. And they look very nice indeed! They actually look VERY (if not exactly) the same color as my 5000k 35w DDMs. I once read somewhere that you are supposed to "burn-in" new HID bulbs. So I fired em' up and let them sit for about 10-15min. Remember I have a harness, and they didn't flicker, studder, or ignite at different times.

Here she is all lit up. Keep in mine, my phone adds a TON of glare (there was almost none) and it makes them look very blue, but in reality, they are crisp white.

I did the install on the Silvy as professional as i could. Me and my brother ran the wiring through hidden places, used the relay harness (also built very well, I will provide a link below). Luckily, the Silvy's stock headlights has glare caps, so my buddy is set there. The install itself was incredibly easy with the ballasts being credit-card sized! We were able to tuck them out of sight, and with a few zip ties, the entire set-up looked factory, if i may show off a bit. Haha! Total install took about two hours, but that's because the NBS front-ends are pretty tightly packed, and we wanted it as professional looking as possible.

Xentec 35w HID kit pros:
-VERY small ballast, opens tons of opportunities for install locations
-Built VERY solid, kit felt and looked very tough
-Claimed to be completely submersible and still functional
-Comes with wire "extensions", in case you need extra length

Cons:
-Ballast feels very light, may be good for some, bothered me a lttle. Made me feel compelled to tether it down good.
-The one bulbe being purple upon ignition, then fading to normal color. Not a big deal since replacement bulbs are cheap as hell.

All in all, the kit itself cost about $36 and the harness about $8. VERY worth the money! I have heard rumors that these Xentec kits are kinda hit and miss, but in my case, things went very well. I am still happy with my DDM low beams, though. But I will probably pick up a 4-Hi harness from Baron and test out a Xentec 55w kit in my high beams. Will report back!

Relay harness I used, had lots of extra wiring (easier to hide) and it's made very well. Only problem i encountered was having to put new ring terminals, as the ones supplied were too small to fit the side-terminal battery studs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-H3-H7-H1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a78d6d773&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
hmmm interesting. my ddms buzz as much as the squirrel from ice age is crazy for nuts. the only bad thing ive heard from the xentecs is the covers keep them from being truly water proof. so id reseal them but i think ill look into those as ive had only issues with ddm's

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
hmmm interesting. my ddms buzz as much as the squirrel from ice age is crazy for nuts. the only bad thing ive heard from the xentecs is the covers keep them from being truly water proof. so id reseal them but i think ill look into those as ive had only issues with ddm's

Personally I love my DDMs. Mine buzz alot too, but they are bright as hell and have never let me down. And one of my ballasts is actually partially fried and still works 99% of the time. Haha.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only time my DDM's buzzed (non-slim ballast) was on start up but if the truck was running you couldn't hear it. My slim ballasts are quiet.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Only time my DDM's buzzed (non-slim ballast) was on start up but if the truck was running you couldn't hear it. My slim ballasts are quiet.

Yeah mine buzz very faintly. You can only hear it when the truck is off. Non-slim ballasts.

Oh, and the quote in your sig surprised me. Lol. Thanks, man.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I have the xentec hids in mine in the 35 watt 6000k flavor, i love em, as said when first ignited they are purple but when they warm up they change into the light blue almost white, my highs with the thick ballast flicker tho, im gonna see if i cam find slim ballasts for my highs

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
let us know how they work for you, mine only lasted for two months and all four burnt out. had 6k in high and low beams.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Been running some "china slims" for a year or so, no issues.

I've had some china ones die on me, but they were the older, blockier style.

China and Ebay are a crap shoot overall though. Sometimes you roll 7's, sometimes snake eyes.......

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just installed some Xentec 5000K's in my Suburban. I put them in new TYC Elegante housings and I can't stand them. My old halogen bulbs in the stock housings lit up the road better than these. I may try some the HIR bulbs and see if they're any better.