My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Base should be fairly easy to get at a junkyard.

Keeps us posted. I'm curious if the pump will solve the issue. Mine at 54 psi right now so I'm saving up for a new fuel pump. Oh and good luck dropping the tank. I made an access panel lol. Was not about to drop that 44g tank

Yeah... Debating on the panel idea. What were your measurements, and do you have pics?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah... Debating on the panel idea. What were your measurements, and do you have pics?

Before my old phone busted I did lol. I actually drove my suburban with bare metal inside for like 3yrs. Anyways best way to do it in my opinion is practice at a junk yard. Your gonna need the floor anyways to put on your hole. What I did was expose the fuel pump. Ended up cutting the hole to small first time lol. So I cut a little bit more out. Then I went to the junk yard and measure so the panel would cover like an inch and a half all over the hole. Bought some small hinges and weather strips and bedlined the panel. Painted the hole and bolted it on. Now heres why I say practice first. I used a sawzall because I figured cutting wheel + fuel = sparks lol. But I did not cut any fuels lines. On the junk yard I did lol.. so practice first. Heres what I used to reference the hole. There's other vids on YouTube this guy gives you a ballpark. Oh and he did his panel different. Take your time

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please dont go over board like this guy. Incase you decide to do it

Heres another one too. Still over kill

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I would assume the tailgate option just wasn’t popular with buyers. You have to stretch to reach stuff in the bed. Considering these were family vehicles and most likely had a ton of kid crap in the cargo area would be why it’s not popular. If I had a SUV it would be a liftgate or barn style doors. I wish my truck tailgate had a swing to the side option.

as far as wheels I prefer stock wheels over aftermarket stuff.
That, and it was sorta expensive IIRC. That's why the conversion Burbs had barn doors.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The old square bodys rear window rowed down which I heard was easy to break into. Plus the motor going out... idk. Never owned one for sure
Yes the electric power window in the square body Burb tailgate was a ***** to fix. Been there done that! We had several of them and all needed some attention. The gate itself is heavy enough that there's a torsion bar to help with opening it(like on a car's decklid/trunklid). We never had a manual rear window Burb, but I imagine if the lock mechanism on the crank handle wasn't working, it would be easy to open the window with it. There's an inside release handle near the top of the gate (that's how you open it once the window is down). I still have one of those gates complete, probably weighs 150 pounds at least.....take all the power window stuff out and they're light.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
So, after seeing @1ton-o-fun do this, I am going to steal his idea. :anitoof:

List of wants for my Burb:

Go back to stock 16" wheels.
(400 steelies, 800 steelies, or PY0s. Not super picky at this point. @HotWheelsBurban if you still have your PY0s in couple of months, I'll happily snag them.)
Buckstop front winch bumper
Warn M12000 for the Buckstop bumper
Swap to a set of XG torsion bars to properly support the bumper and winch
Pair of 6" KC Daylighter lights on the bumper
(I already have a pair that have never been installed)
110 mph cluster (just to be slightly different)
NV4500 swap.
(Or my pipedream want, an S6-650 from an 8.1 or Duramax. Yeah, real likely :anitoof:)
NP241 swap, delete everything related to Autotrac
F*&d F-250 center console, for more utility
Custom upholstery utilizing Carhart fabric
Add in heated rear seats
Install my existing CB, and run it w/ a 108" whip
I'm seriously considering swapping to the work truck front end, I really do like how it looks.
I'd like to get a storage drawer system in the back
Some good quality tint, probably 35% all the way around
Roof basket with some LED floods, and a couple of longer range LED spots up front
F*&d auxiliary switches, 6 bank and 4 bank from a Superduty
Extra fuse and relay block to properly wire in all add-on electrical accessories
Dual batteries, big 3, hi-4 mod
Build my 454 into a 489
Aluminum heads for heat dissipation
Mild RV/towing cam
Headers, Magnaflow dual in/dual out muffler
411 swap
285s w/ 4.56 gears
GMT800 rear disk 14 bolt ff axle
GMT800 HD spindles w/ slip-fit rotors and 2 pot calipers

List is subject to change as I get new ideas :Big Laugh::Big Laugh:

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you want discs, put them on the existing axle if it's a full floater. Shove a cam in the existing engine. And what's the 110 cluster from? 100 is stock, 120 cam in Denalis/Escalades, and the cop cluster is 130.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you want discs, put them on the existing axle if it's a full floater. Shove a cam in the existing engine. And what's the 110 cluster from? 100 is stock, 120 cam in Denalis/Escalades, and the cop cluster is 130.