My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I can't see it being that bad. I also don't know why you'd bother.

She locked up in 4 hi last night as I was cycling it. Wouldn't shift out. Control panel just flashed and then went dead, would come back on, repeat. Service 4WD lit up on the dash.
This morning, after sitting for several hours overnight, it shifted out no problem. But that concerns me a bit. And my last two 400s were manual shift 4x4. Which never gave me any issues.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Weird. Try pulling the t-case fuse to reset the TCCM. I've had my 243 case in my 1500 since I got it in 2009 and the only trouble it's ever given me was last winter when the control panel went unresponsive. Can't recall if I was able to pull t-case codes or not. I reset the TCCM once and it's been good since.

Dravec

Reaction score
Weird. Try pulling the t-case fuse to reset the TCCM. I've had my 243 case in my 1500 since I got it in 2009 and the only trouble it's ever given me was last winter when the control panel went unresponsive. Can't recall if I was able to pull t-case codes or not. I reset the TCCM once and it's been good since.

That didn't work. I'm just a bit wary of loads of a electronics that control stuff like that. If It was only a 243, I'd probably be less likely to distrust it, but I really like the 241 and it's manual shifter.
I don't like relying on computers, I like being the one in control. :rotflmao:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If that didn't work the most likely cause I think would be the encoder motor took a dump. It's really only that or the TCCM unless the front diff actuator went rogue, but you're stuck with that guy either way.

Dravec

Reaction score
Yeah, the Posi-Lok kit is really tempting. But if I don't swap to the manual t-case, then I don't really see the point of having it.

Dravec

Reaction score
If that didn't work the most likely cause I think would be the encoder motor took a dump. It's really only that or the TCCM unless the front diff actuator went rogue, but you're stuck with that guy either way.

My first guess is the encoder since it went into 4 Hi, but then refused to shift out until morning. Almost like an electrical component that got hot and had to cool down. But electronics really aren't my strong suit.
Plus, that's on me for speaking it into existence. Happened within minutes of saying something about it.:banghead:

Knightmare

Reaction score
Accidentally hit post before adding pictures....

You must be registered for see images attach

The preservation on it looks amazing and that’s a great project nice choice

Dravec

Reaction score
The preservation on it looks amazing and that’s a great project nice choice

Thank you! Spent several years looking for one like this girl. I had honestly wanted a half ton, but I find that I had forgotten just how comfortable HD GMT400 IFS was, after spending 2+ years being beat half to death by an '02 Dodge 2500 Cummins.
I have plans for her, that I hope to start working towards in the near future. A relatively mild off-road, vacation and work rig, built to pull a boat or travel trailer, and able to reliably work from dawn till dusk, day in and day out.