My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually really leaning towards a set of these

You must be registered for see images attach

I personally like steel. They can always be repainted and clear coated. Also cheap to replace. Win win for me. As far as tailgates I love the ideal of the tailgate/lift glass. Mostly because of visibility and the wiper when its pouring. Also when load stuff that are long you can leave the glass open but close the tailgate. Vs the barndoors being open and having a bar blocking a 1/4 of the glass lol. But that's just me. I'm actually planning on one day swapping my rear to the lift glass/tailgate.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Hey Richard, thanks for helping me trace down the paint code for my two tone! I was just about to ask about the rarity of my setup. I have yet to see another GMT400 with the white/grey two tone and orange little pin stripe. Needed the color code of the two tone so I can fill in the scratches as best as possible. Gonna be a fun day's work. Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm kinda digging @NightRunner 's color combo, although I don't know if I'd go that dark of a grey

Dravec

Reaction score
So, I accidentally bought an extra pair of the spare tire base brackets the last time I was at the junkyard, thinking I was missing them. Turns out I wasn't, so I had no clue what to do with them. Well, the my rig has 265 wide tires, which as we all know don't exactly fit in the spare slot very well. So I've dealt with the spare tire rubbing the back quarter window and squeaking like mad for months. Yesterday, I decided to see if the bolts were long enough to double the brackets to space the tire out a bit and get it off of the window.

The surgery was a success! Bolts had plenty of thread to reach through both brackets, and engage the mounts. Now my tire is off of the window and much quieter. If you're trying to stick a 265 series tire in the stock location, I HIGHLY recommend this. Slightly longer bolts, or a more stable base would probably be better, but it works surprisingly well.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know the stock base has 2 settings lol. What I did was undo the bolts moved the base out a hair and then ran new bolts and nuts through the floor and now it sits pretty well:) I wish I could still use my stock cover though... oh and the bracket can be flipped around so you can still bolt it to the wall. I found that out when i got bigger tires and wanted to see how it could fit

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Oh, the GMT 400 Suburbans had the spare tire in the cargo area? I did not know that. I thought it was under the vehicle? I guess I never really paid attention to that detail?
Yes the 400 Burbs have the spare in the left rear corner of the cargo area. Likewise the 2 door SUVs. The 4 door SUVs have it underneath like the pickups, and the 800 SUVs. Much easier to get to when it's inside, in my opinion. Had to get the spare down in 2 different vehicles that were under car mounted. Kind of a pain in the ass.

Dravec

Reaction score
You know the stock base has 2 settings lol. What I did was undo the bolts moved the base out a hair and then ran new bolts and nuts through the floor and now it sits pretty well:) I wish I could still use my stock cover though... oh and the bracket can be flipped around so you can still bolt it to the wall. I found that out when i got bigger tires and wanted to see how it could fit

Yeah... I'm currently missing the factory base. :(

Dravec

Reaction score
So, for the last few months, I've been chasing a weird stumble under light load, sometimes acceleration, sometimes deceleration. No real consistent pattern to it.

Started with the usual plugs and wires. Foumd one plug that wasn't even hand tight, and two bad wires. That helped. For a while. Then it came back.

So my thoughts then moved to trans slippage. But then I noticed that when it would do it, my RPM would drop during the event.

So then I started thinking distributor or timing chain. Well, today I finally did something I should've done a while back. Fuel pressure test. Pressure would run up to 54 psi max. Rock steady while running at 52-54 psi. So that leads me to believe weak fuel pump. And if she still has the factory fuel pump, that means she still has the original connector that GM later deemed to be a poor design. So I'll have to rewire that. Im really hoping that this solves my issue. Plus I have the typical injector leak issue that the big block is renowned for. But that is a project for a later day.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm currently missing the factory base. :(

Base should be fairly easy to get at a junkyard.

So, for the last few months, I've been chasing a weird stumble under light load, sometimes acceleration, sometimes deceleration. No real consistent pattern to it.

Started with the usual plugs and wires. Foumd one plug that wasn't even hand tight, and two bad wires. That helped. For a while. Then it came back.

So my thoughts then moved to trans slippage. But then I noticed that when it would do it, my RPM would drop during the event.

So then I started thinking distributor or timing chain. Well, today I finally did something I should've done a while back. Fuel pressure test. Pressure would run up to 54 psi max. Rock steady while running at 52-54 psi. So that leads me to believe weak fuel pump. And if she still has the factory fuel pump, that means she still has the original connector that GM later deemed to be a poor design. So I'll have to rewire that. Im really hoping that this solves my issue. Plus I have the typical injector leak issue that the big block is renowned for. But that is a project for a later day.

Keeps us posted. I'm curious if the pump will solve the issue. Mine at 54 psi right now so I'm saving up for a new fuel pump. Oh and good luck dropping the tank. I made an access panel lol. Was not about to drop that 44g tank