My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here I got a wish list too...
98-99
K2500 burb
K1500 tahoe
K1500 blazer
C1500 burb wt/base

Btw. Stock 350 burb gets pretty good milage for the gmt400. Not sure about it comparing to a 2 dr truck but I was able to hit 18 highway

Back in '09-'12 I was going down to Houston and the Rio Grande Valley to survey hurricane damage on my 99 Silverado ECSB 4.3 2wd with 3.42s. I think I averaged 20. "Maybe" 20.5. Never more. Maybe a RCSB may get better mileage.

My nephew has an 02 RC S10 with the 4.3 and I think he gets 22 mpg. He also drives about how much you are driving weekly. But the V6 only gets better gas mileage in the highway it seems on the full size trucks.

Anything 2500 is not going to get you good gas mileage. My now DD 2500 suburban w/ 6.0 gets about 12. I only drive 90 miles per week, so still tolerable.

Mileage is a function of vehicle weight mostly. A civic (or any compact) is light, so of course it's going to get better mileage than anything body on frame.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in '09-'12 I was going down to Houston and the Rio Grande Valley to survey hurricane damage on my 99 Silverado ECSB 4.3 2wd. I think I averaged 20. "Maybe" 20.5. Never more. Maybe a ECSB may get better mileage.

My nephew has an 02 RC S10 with the 4.3 and I think he gets 22 mpg. He also drives about how much you are driving weekly. But the V6 only gets better gas mileage in the city it seems.

Anything 2500 is not going to get you good gas mileage. My now DD 2500 suburban w/ 6.0 gets about 12. I only drive 90 miles per week, so still tolerable.

Mileage is a function of vehicle weight mostly. A civic (or any compact) is light, so of course it's going to get better mileage than anything body on frame.

I agree. The only issue I had was v6 suck gas quick and use more fuel to pull the weight. Vs the v8 can handle the weight but sucks fuel while maintaining a steady cruise. But yes v6 do seem to hold better mpg if drivin right and not a heavy truck

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
That's fair

That's honestly why a 400 ECSB or a Tahoe/Yukon are a bit higher on my list, and another Suburban is bottom of the list. But I want 2wd, and I seriously don't care if whatever it winds up being has a 305, and I would even consider the 4.3, if the price was right.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree. The only issue I had was v6 suck gas quick and use more fuel to pull the weight. Vs the v8 can handle the weight but sucks fuel while maintaining a steady cruise. But yes v6 do seem to hold better mpg if drivin right and not a heavy truck

Agreed. I was thinking just a commuter. OP obviously has enough truck for doing the heavy work when needed, LOL.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's honestly why a 400 ECSB or a Tahoe/Yukon are a bit higher on my list, and another Suburban is bottom of the list. But I want 2wd, and I seriously don't care if whatever it winds up being has a 305, and I would even consider the 4.3, if the price was right.

If Tahoe/Yukon, guaranteed 350. Your odds of a smaller motor increase with a smaller truck.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If Tahoe/Yukon, guaranteed 350. Your odds of a smaller motor increase with a smaller truck.

Was the 305 ever offered in the SUVs of this era? I don't know that I've ever seen one? Even on trucks, the 305 doesn't seem to be all that common today? What happened to all the 305s? The same could be said of the 6.5TD, to a lesser extent.

I think in the later generation the Tahoe/Yukon could be had with the smaller and larger V8, but the suburban/Yukon XLs only came with larger of those two engines. I'm talking in the 1500 series here...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Surprisingly, it only took me an hour to do my plugs and wire on my 7.4 recently. And that included beer time! :Big Laugh:

Although I guess it helps when the last person to work on her didn't have everything properly tight. :3811797817_8d685371

Cap and rotor on the 7.4 is absolute bullcarp though. That engineer was an a-hole.

Also, for some reason, every time I work on an LS, the #8 plug and wire always fights me and I wind up bleeding. Every friggin time. :bs:
Amen brother!