My new project truck: '99 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Was the 305 ever offered in the SUVs of this era? I don't know that I've ever seen one? Even on trucks, the 305 doesn't seem to be all that common today? What happened to all the 305s? The same could be said of the 6.5TD, to a lesser extent.

I think in the later generation the Tahoe/Yukon could be had with the smaller and larger V8, but the suburban/Yukon XLs only came with larger of those two engines. I'm talking in the 1500 series here...

I've not seen a Tahoe/Suburban with anything less than a 350 myself.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
While I don't disagree, I'm 6'1" with long legs and rather chunky. Last S10 I sat in wasn't particularly comfortable.

6'2", 305 here :waytogo:. Grab a Crown Vic police car before the prices skyrocket. Low 20s for mpg isn't spectacular, but talk about a car built for big guys... with the seat all the way back I can barely reach the pedals! And the trunk is almost the size of an Avalanche's "bed".

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
6'2", 305 here :waytogo:. Grab a Crown Vic police car before the prices skyrocket. Low 20s for mpg isn't spectacular, but talk about a car built for big guys... with the seat all the way back I can barely reach the pedals! And the trunk is almost the size of an Avalanche's "bed".
Not just big guys, but big guys with big utility belts and lots of gear hanging off them. Same reason an original type Humvee is so huge inside. Gotta have room for the tools of the trade you gotta tote with you.....

That's why my family got into Burbs. My dad was 6' and never lighter than 240, and my brother is 6'5". He has size 16 feet, Dad was size 14. I'm not that tall but I like to stretch out on road trips. Stuff like this is why crew cabs and big SUVs are the modern family sedan.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand why size is an issue but if you found something oriental and comfortable just for the commute you would save enough bucks on gas to really fix up your fun ride. A rice mobile for work doesn't revoke your card if you have a real truck for the weekends !

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I understand why size is an issue but if you found something oriental and comfortable just for the commute you would save enough bucks on gas to really fix up your fun ride. A rice mobile for work doesn't revoke your card if you have a real truck for the weekends !

Especially "classic" rice. There's a '79 Subaru wagon near me that is rust free and just needs some exhaust work. I've always been a sucker for wagons, period. -But, I'm content and dead set on making something decent outta my Crown Vic and my truck. No more wandering eyes. At least until I win the lottery.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score

Yeah, Crown Vic or Grand Marquis are two of the cars I would consider. Also, 90's Caprice/9C1, Buick Roadmaster, or a Pontiac Bonneville. Big cars.
And yeah, I am fully aware the Bonneville is wrong wheel drive. It's about one of the only front wheel drive cars that I've ever liked. For some reason Pontiac is the only GM division that managed to make front wheel drive feel right. Dunno how they succeeded like that where every other GM brand didn't.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw. Stock 350 burb gets pretty good milage for the gmt400. Not sure about it comparing to a 2 dr truck but I was able to hit 18 highway

Just for comparison - my 2006 ecsb 2wd 4.8 w/t gets 20-21 on the highway. It is about the newest truck you can buy that doesn't have tpms, traction control etc..

I am curious about what a similar gmt400 would get.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for comparison - my 2006 ecsb 2wd 4.8 w/t gets 20-21 on the highway. It is about the newest truck you can buy that doesn't have tpms, traction control etc..

I am curious about what a similar gmt400 would get.

That's pretty good. I had a 18 gmc Sierra 5.3 that was pushing out 20 highway I believe. Pretty sure it was wrong, I was using the instantaneous fuel economy lol. Went in a long drive think it said I was in the range of 20-25 mpg. I take that number with a grain of salt btw.. later I had a 18 4.3 Sierra and couldn't maintain a steady mpg besides 18. Really miss that 5.3 loner lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm unsure on the interchangeability of discs off the newer diff, but there are numerous ways and kits available to swap the 10.5" 400 diff over to discs. The newer diff housing is an AAM piece so a different manufacturer than that of the 10.5" full floater found on the 400 trucks.

AAM came into existence in March of 94.... at that exact moment all 14BFF's then being manufactured were done so by AAM.

I would want the 800 disc setup over any of the cobbled together aftermarket conversions. I don't know why the conversion plate makers are still using Squarebody era calipers and rotors.