My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Heads should have two small holes and intake gaskets will have be flat on one side and had two nubs on the other, nubs for in holes on heads

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Head gaskets go on dry and torque heads to proper specs and in right sequence, intake gaskets also go on dry, then run a thick bead of silicone from the corner of the intake gasket across the top of the block to the other intake gasket, repeat on back of block, put on intake, and torque down, also proper sequence for it.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Head gaskets go on dry and torque heads to proper specs and in right sequence, intake gaskets also go on dry, then run a thick bead of silicone from the corner of the intake gasket across the top of the block to the other intake gasket, repeat on back of block, put on intake, and torque down, also proper sequence for it.

Sounds good, thanks man. I can have the heads and intake on tonight, and on Wednesday ill have the exhaust manifold gaskets and the last few fittings and hoses i need. Have to work on it a little at a time, they've only been giving me like, a maximum of two days off every week for the last few weeks. Which is awesome, an why I was able to gather $~600 of parts so quick :D

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I just remembered, check online, some head bolts might go into water jackets and need sealant.

Also, to really check what block u have, vortec blocks are usually 880 blocks and most TBI's are 638, should be stamped on rear of block and in the middle on the side on both sides.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I just remembered, check online, some head bolts might go into water jackets and need sealant.

Also, to really check what block u have, vortec blocks are usually 880 blocks and most TBI's are 638, should be stamped on rear of block and in the middle on the side on both sides.

Yup, 638. I have pictures of all my casting numbers on my iPod. And the new head bolts already have sealant on them, i believe.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Played with the intake a little more, got the carburetor studs in for the TBI, but it looks like i potentially may have clearance issues with the brake booster vacuum fitting and the fuel return line. Hopefully its not much,aybe i can bend the lime very slightly to clear it.

Was going to start reassembly today, but my eyes are drooping. Sleep first, work later.