My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
As far as a I know, all truck engines are flat tappet until 1996, I don't know what u mean by "A" code, a truck TBI 350 is a L05

With that being said, I could easily see the factory sticking a car 350 in a truck when truck engines were not available.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
With that being said, I could easily see the factory sticking a car 350 in a truck when truck engines were not available.

True. I wouldn't put it past them. I'll look around and see if I bookmarked that page and get back to you

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Ok, now we're trackin. I was on the right pace, wrong info. I don't know where I got "A", honestly, but "R" is for the L31, which obviously wasn't around until '96. What I was thinking of is actually codes "7" and "8", which are the TBI L05 (7) and TPI L98 (8). There's also the LT1 (P) and LT5 (J), but it's pretty obvious those are not what I'm talking about. I couldn't find the original sites I found this info, but from what I remember is that there was a couple of shortages of L05s, so they put the upper end on L98 shortblocks to put in the trucks. I do not claim that this is true, and again, I cannot find the sites (yes, there were more than one) where I read this. I just know I've seen roller assemblies in at least 3 factory trucks -a '90, '92, and '93 (none of them had been rebuilt or replaced, all family vehicles bought new) I've got some pics somewhere from when we did the head gaskets on an uncles '93, cause he popped a head pretty good too.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I mentioned a few pages back that i contacted my uncle (previous and original owner) and he told me he had it converted to roller cam. I find it odd because he's nt very mechanically inclined when it comes to engines like i am, so i was surprised when he told me it was converted. The cam in it is definitely not stock, would also make sense because my torque converter seems to stall at a higher RPM than any 700 stock stall.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
M
Ok, now we're trackin. I was on the right pace, wrong info. I don't know where I got "A", honestly, but "R" is for the L31, which obviously wasn't around until '96. What I was thinking of is actually codes "7" and "8", which are the TBI L05 (7) and TPI L98 (8). There's also the LT1 (P) and LT5 (J), but it's pretty obvious those are not what I'm talking about. I couldn't find the original sites I found this info, but from what I remember is that there was a couple of shortages of L05s, so they put the upper end on L98 shortblocks to put in the trucks. I do not claim that this is true, and again, I cannot find the sites (yes, there were more than one) where I read this. I just know I've seen roller assemblies in at least 3 factory trucks -a '90, '92, and '93 (none of them had been rebuilt or replaced, all family vehicles bought new) I've got some pics somewhere from when we did the head gaskets on an uncles '93, cause he popped a head pretty good too.

But those have plastic timing covers, right? Mine is metal. I checked after someone mentioned it could be a Vortec block, back on page 2 or 3.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
So guys, think I may start the assembly today after work, and get this all over with. Any special procedures i should follor for the intake and head gaskets? I know i need to put a bead of RTV along the ends of the block, but is there anything else i need to do? The intake gaskets i have are plastic with the ports sealed with thick rubber seals (oil? No oil on the seals?) for the Vortec bolt pattern, and the head gaskets are the blue (paper?) ones.