My "Build" thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red91

Hi, I'm Red
Reaction score
Posted this up on ITS so I figured I would being it here too. I bought the truck a little over 2.5 yrs ago. She was Stone Stock but super clean and straight especially for a true WI Truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes that is all GM sheetmetal. I got it with a 2" thick stack of reciepts and various pieces of documentation and I recieved a memo pad that documented every dime the previous owner put into it INCLUDING GAS!!! He is a regular at all the local shows with a small collection of Trans Am's and this was his daily baby. After rocking it stock for awhile I started to get the itch and started collecting parts for a 4/6. Well this summer I put some new 225/70s up front and 255/60s out back.

It took me way longer than it should have but I wanted to do it un assisted.

While I did the front I also did all the standard wearables, Ball joints Tie Rod ends, sleeves, and sway bar end links. I found out the hard way that I have 1.25" brake rotors as well. It could have been easily avoided if I did a little more research but lesson learned. So after I bought the right spindles I put it all back together.

Only one problem...

Enter 454!!!!

After that I flipped her around

The leaf spring bolts were frozen solid in the bushing sleeves. With a little coaxing and some heavy equipment the rear leafs came on out.

I obviously had to do new bushings so a little propane, swazall and ball joint press later.

So I shot the springs with a little satin black krylon

They turned out pretty good. Actually had a tire guy ask me if they were new. So I pulled out a little backwoods engineering and got the new bushings in

After a little assembly some more black Krylon and one "sick" day at work

Like I said it took me way too long, but I could only work on it 2-4 hours at a time. That and I have a dd so it didn't hurt me to have it down for the summer. Either way I learned a few things 1. You can never research enough something will always bite you the first time around. 2. I loath press in ball joints 3. I am never doing spring bushings AGAIN! Either way after all the work, money, and time the first time I drove it made it all worth it! :D

Well after that I got the rear wheels swapped over too the 454s, then 2 weeks before her first show I got an exhaust leak.... :mad: Soooo I said screw it and ordered....

and threw in a new y-pipe. But to add insult to injury the y-pipe didn't seat well so I have a little "Pop" leak when I get into the throttle. Either way I took the hit in stride and showed her anyways. This was my first show as an entrant.

I have absolutely gotten hooked on showing it since I just wish it wasn't so late in the year! I am now "stuck" I feel like I have writers block I can't seem to plan my next move. Suggestions?... Lol

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
I wanna go back and start over with what I had to work with.....I saw erics bed in the daylight..hell helped put it on......but I havent saw it layd out in the daylight with the bed ={

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The truck is coming together great.

Red91

Hi, I'm Red
Reaction score
ha, you're not alone. that's why i won't post day pics of mine yet
BOOOOOO! Yours is so much further ahead then mine I want DAYLIGHT pics! That thing is **** and it's still under construction!

I wanna go back and start over with what I had to work with.....I saw erics bed in the daylight..hell helped put it on......but I havent saw it layd out in the daylight with the bed ={
Why do you want to start over? This puzzles the shi!t out of me. Really he makes you work for it and doesn't have the decency to let a little air back into the atmosphere... SHAME!

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
BOOOOOO! Yours is so much further ahead then mine I want DAYLIGHT pics! That thing is **** and it's still under construction!

Why do you want to start over? This puzzles the shi!t out of me. Really he makes you work for it and doesn't have the decency to let a little air back into the atmosphere... SHAME!

If I could start over i wouldve bagged first thing then started bodywork with a total diff paint sheme and the whole 9 yards. I have a 5 yr plan that will include a rebuild. The only the that makes me nervous about baging is putting trailer fenders On the fender without scratching the paint. cause by the time My tax check come in and the kit gets installed there wont be time to paint I dont think before show season. and Im not going a whole more season without paint...

People tell me the truck looks good..but Im at the point were I hate to look at it basically.