My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Looks like in a couple of weeks ill be getting this put in.
Had a buddy mill .100 off the polylocks and now the valve covers fit no problem with about .030 clearance.

Did you remove the oil fill tube? If so, how is it held in?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if i should keep the oil cooler or delete it. Deleting it is just 1 less thing to leak mostly. Read most pro's/con's and for what i use my truck for it's really unneeded.
I never tow anything heavy really. Just a trailer with 2 quads. Weighs about 3k all together.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I did not remove it. It looks to be a press fit.

How did you clean up the lower intake? Is it painted? I thought maybe the tube was removed for media blasting.

I'm trying to decide if i should keep the oil cooler or delete it. Deleting it is just 1 less thing to leak mostly. Read most pro's/con's and for what i use my truck for it's really unneeded.
I never tow anything heavy really. Just a trailer with 2 quads. Weighs about 3k all together.

Mine's gone. I plugged the ports with Allen head plugs that I bought at Fastenal. I did not so any bypass removing/swapping.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the oil cooler. It also helps to warm the oil faster in colder weather. My oil will easily hit 240+ when towing in the heat of summer, and that's with the truck locked in OD chugging along. It was still 200-220 towing in cooler weather. Seems the 454 likes to run the oil hot, I'm debating on an auxiliary oil cooler.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the oil cooler. It also helps to warm the oil faster in colder weather. My oil will easily hit 240+ when towing in the heat of summer, and that's with the truck locked in OD chugging along. It was still 200-220 towing in cooler weather. Seems the 454 likes to run the oil hot, I'm debating on an auxiliary oil cooler.

The 6.5L diesel vans had a small auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator in addition to the one in the radiator. Not sure if one was ever used on the trucks. I have considered adding a similar one to my Van. Fairly easy to add considering I have AN lines to the radiator cooler now. It gets $$$ quickly though because of the AN fittings and the fact that I would want to add a thermostat between the radiator cooler and the auxiliary cooler. Something I also have been planning to add to the transmission cooler. My transmission runs too cool on a cool day.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you clean up the lower intake? Is it painted? I thought maybe the tube was removed for media blasting.
I washed it with a scrub brush and Purple Power then washed it again with Dawn dish soap. It was pretty clean by then but i waited till the wife was at work then in the dishwasher it went. Came out very clean!
Taped up the tube and used High temp engine primer per directions fallowed by High temp aluminum.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both cooler fittings new and also the two plugs new. Cooler lines were replaced a few months ago.
Also, the center valve was replaced with a new 10lb anti drain back valve and a 30lb bypass valve.
Around here we are lucky to see 100 in the summer for more than a couple days and only a couple days below zero in the winter.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 6.5L diesel vans had a small auxiliary cooler in front of the radiator in addition to the one in the radiator. Not sure if one was ever used on the trucks. I have considered adding a similar one to my Van. Fairly easy to add considering I have AN lines to the radiator cooler now. It gets $$$ quickly though because of the AN fittings and the fact that I would want to add a thermostat between the radiator cooler and the auxiliary cooler. Something I also have been planning to add to the transmission cooler. My transmission runs too cool on a cool day.

I've only seen the aux oil coolers on diesels and TBI 8 lug trucks.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've only seen the aux oil coolers on diesels and TBI 8 lug trucks.
Didn't know TBI 8-lug trucks got them? I've only ever seen the aux oil coolers on 6.5L trucks; I think the one on my K3500 is an aftermarket unit because it's f_cking huge compared to the ones I've seen in the junkyards. I've toyed around with the thought of stacking a small oil cooler above a larger trans cooler since my red truck has the e-fan on the right side, not much real estate for experimentation.