My 1997 GMC Somewhat bulid thread ( Lots of Pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Well it's leaking somewhere while running or burning it then. Any white smoke while driving? Sweet smelling exhaust?

I keep being told intake gasket and after research I am leaning towards that too. My only thing is I keep reading that it will leak out somewhere and I can't find any leaks at all! It doesn't burn white and the exhaust doesn't smell any different than it always has

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using green coolant? If so take a black light an look around the engine. Its going somewhere either the oil, burning off or leaking. It could also be a freeze plug.

My burb was losing some for a while as well. It took me forever to find it because it only leaked while running. The way it gets parked (nose up) it never leaked while sitting. It wound up being the water pump...

Project Mean Green

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My chevy used to do that and yeah it was my manifold gasket. A pain to replace but mine a huge hole from the owner before us from not replacing it. Took us roughy a week to replace. And yeah mine didn't smell or run funny or anything except for seeing a huge puddle under. The manifold gasket it like a very common thing to break on these trucks. Just my 2 cents. I went and replaced it with a fel pro

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Are you using green coolant? If so take a black light an look around the engine. Its going somewhere either the oil, burning off or leaking. It could also be a freeze plug.

My burb was losing some for a while as well. It took me forever to find it because it only leaked while running. The way it gets parked (nose up) it never leaked while sitting. It wound up being the water pump...

I'll try that. How would I know if it was going into my oil? I'm changing it this weekend so I should know then. I changed my water pump last summer because it just like blew up. There was water everywhere. Now there is no leaks at all

My chevy used to do that and yeah it was my manifold gasket. A pain to replace but mine a huge hole from the owner before us from not replacing it. Took us roughy a week to replace. And yeah mine didn't smell or run funny or anything except for seeing a huge puddle under. The manifold gasket it like a very common thing to break on these trucks. Just my 2 cents. I went and replaced it with a fel pro

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

As far as I know mine has never been replaced. The only difference is that I never find any puddles. Not even drops!

Have your cooling system pressure tested.

How would I go about doing that?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
How would I go about doing that?

Call around. Most shops, even the little mom and pop garages do them. It cost around the same as a flush, and normally they also flush it at the same time. You could also 9/10 check compression of each cyl to test for the head gasket. Usually it will read low around the cyl nearest to the bad spot.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know we all jumped right to the serious stuff. How does your rad cap look? How about the hose to the overflow bottle?
System pressure is important for proper cooling, if the cap isn't building/holding pressure then you could overheat.

Same with the hose, if its heating up an the overflow hose isn't connected it will lose coolant as it expands an it would only leak while driving. Just a few more ideas to check.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh an if the coolant was going into your oil the level would go up an it would look like peanut butter or a chocolate shake...

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Call around. Most shops, even the little mom and pop garages do them. It cost around the same as a flush, and normally they also flush it at the same time. You could also 9/10 check compression of each cyl to test for the head gasket. Usually it will read low around the cyl nearest to the bad spot.
My buddies dad has a shop so I'll see if he can do that for me tomorrow
You know we all jumped right to the serious stuff. How does your rad cap look? How about the hose to the overflow bottle?
System pressure is important for proper cooling, if the cap isn't building/holding pressure then you could overheat.

Same with the hose, if its heating up an the overflow hose isn't connected it will lose coolant as it expands an it would only leak while driving. Just a few more ideas to check.

The cap looks good! I got a new one maybe a year ago because my other one wasn't sealing very well. It has never had problems over heating until the last couple of days. Now that I think about it my oil pressure has been a little higher than normal but it tends to settle back down to where it always is. My dip stick looked good when I checked it but I've heard that the dip stick can look fine but once you change it you see it's bad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez