MPFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting ahead of the pending job here.
I've looked at all the aftermarket price ranges from $186 to $900 for the fuel injector upgrade. I noticed that the NAPA house brand (Echlin) has the unit for $425.
I have never had a problem with Echlin before. Has anyone used this injector assembly?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s made by standard motor products. Same as oreilly’s and bwd etc. it is a fine product - though I suspect you could do better on the price. Last one I priced was right about $300 and I just checked o’reilly online has them for $336 plus a 15%off coupon. Don’t forget the intake gasket set.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s made by standard motor products. Same as oreilly’s and bwd etc. it is a fine product - though I suspect you could do better on the price. Last one I priced was right about $300 and I just checked o’reilly online has them for $336 plus a 15%off coupon. Don’t forget the intake gasket set.
Oh definitely.
If I'm doing the job the whole intake is coming off. I also have 5*-6* play in my timing chain which will be done at the same time and also water pump since I'm in there.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked.
The difference in pricing is most likely due to the 3 years/36,000k warranty that Napa offers compared to the 1 year Oriellys warranty.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you having trouble with the poppets? I ask because I replaced my poppets with a new mpfi set up after people here claimed that it would be a big difference. There was absolutely no difference.

If your poppets are still working fine, it is a waste of money.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on garagejounal just a few days and a guy was asking about the Napa brand being more expensive and if it was worth it. IIRC, the consensus was that currently, they were mostly the same part as found elsewhere, with a different box and higher price.

But I didn't know about the warranty. I never really buy from Napa, but as a DIY, in my mind I always thought their parts were good or better than the other guys since they tailor to the pro shops.

The only spider I've installed was on my K3500 weekender/work truck that came from AAP. I can't remember the brand (probably carquest) , but looked just like the other brands out there. Since I installed it about 2 years ago I've maybe put about 2,000 miles (I don't run the truck much), so I can't really offer a meaningful opinion on long-term durability.

If you had good luck with NAPA, I'd say run with that one.

I think OP mentioned in another thread he had one of his MPFI aftermarket injectors fail...what brand was that?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checked.
The difference in pricing is most likely due to the 3 years/36,000k warranty that Napa offers compared to the 1 year Oriellys warranty.

Incorrect. Oreillys is $336 with a LIFETIME warranty.
You must be registered for see images attach

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
If your doin timing chain better get oil pan gasket. Pan has to come down to pull timing cover. Cover has a lip to lock in behind pan. Did all this on my motor and of course it's leaking where cover meets pan. Not in mood to screw with it anymore so goin to my buddies shop.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Incorrect. Oreillys is $336 with a LIFETIME warranty.
You must be registered for see images attach
Ah. I must have been looking at the AC Delco assembly. Thanks for pointing that out, it's a game changer.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your doin timing chain better get oil pan gasket. Pan has to come down to pull timing cover. Cover has a lip to lock in behind pan. Did all this on my motor and of course it's leaking where cover meets pan. Not in mood to screw with it anymore so goin to my buddies shop.
Of coarse. I had forgotten about that. Last time I did the job with engine in was in 1990 on my 1978 K5 Blazer.
I wonder if I can jack up the engine enough to drop the pan and change the oil pump.....