MPFI tech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
thats kinda what i figured it would take, and honestly i wouldnt be scared to try it (intimidated as hell, but not scared) ... alot of fuel injection confuses me just for the fact i have ADD, so some concepts just dont "click" like they do for others, but when im able to channel my focus (thats where all my research and ideas and inquiry comes in) into something in peticular than i can do extraordinary things like roll my own MPFI system

now that being said, if i were to start off with, lets say a TBI or vortec base.... we'll use TBI for the sake of argument... say i find me an ol early 90's SWB 2wd... would i find the pin out for the ECM and basicly change the in and outputs to make the system work and then still be able to use the majority of the factory sensers and wiring? or since vortec is already MPFI, would i utilize that ecm with this sytem for the truck in question?

If adding confuses you, you're going to plotz the first time you time to adjust the fuel tables for BLM's...

Vortec is OBDII and a PCM, TBI is OBDI and an ECM. Different animals except that they are computers.

The "pin outs" of the PCM/ECM are somewhat determined by the OS as well as the hardware on the board. The vehicle wiring harness simply matches whatever your ECM/PCM configuration is.

I mean this as kindly as possible: if you don't understand/know these things already you need to put away any thoughts of actually doing it for another 6 months to a year and just start reading.

Or buy a package that's ready to go.

Junkyard swapping EFI stuff takes a lot of knowledge about what you are actually doing and even more to get it all to wok well together. A prepackaged unit has that all worked out for you and lets you adjust things in a "user friendly" interface.

Ultimately, you end up with a far more satisfying end product and very often ends up being less than you would have spent in time and money.

Yeah, it sucks saving up your cash and waiting, but it's worth it IMHO....

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Edelbrock also has an MPFI conversion for TBI trucks. You might want to take a look at that kit or some instruction manuals for it just to get an idea of what is involved.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35000/overview

You can also download the instructions from that link.

You're right, though, not a lot of people drop the cash to go to MPFI, not when LS-swaps have become as affordable and simple as they are. I'm planning on getting a set of 90#/hr injectors from a 454 Throttle Body, and porting my stock TB, and that should be fine for my application. It would definitely be different to go MPFI, and you would have a lot more options as far as injectors go.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If adding confuses you, you're going to plotz the first time you time to adjust the fuel tables for BLM's...

Vortec is OBDII and a PCM, TBI is OBDI and an ECM. Different animals except that they are computers.

The "pin outs" of the PCM/ECM are somewhat determined by the OS as well as the hardware on the board. The vehicle wiring harness simply matches whatever your ECM/PCM configuration is.

I mean this as kindly as possible: if you don't understand/know these things already you need to put away any thoughts of actually doing it for another 6 months to a year and just start reading.

Or buy a package that's ready to go.

Junkyard swapping EFI stuff takes a lot of knowledge about what you are actually doing and even more to get it all to wok well together. A prepackaged unit has that all worked out for you and lets you adjust things in a "user friendly" interface.

Ultimately, you end up with a far more satisfying end product and very often ends up being less than you would have spent in time and money.

Yeah, it sucks saving up your cash and waiting, but it's worth it IMHO....

adding isnt a problem, im actually quite good with math, givin my finances at the moment, either way i go im gna be atleast a year or so from doing anything, but i really am quite interested to learn as much as i can wether i buy the kit or build my own

If I remember correctly, Edelbrock also has an MPFI conversion for TBI trucks. You might want to take a look at that kit or some instruction manuals for it just to get an idea of what is involved.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35000/overview

You can also download the instructions from that link.

You're right, though, not a lot of people drop the cash to go to MPFI, not when LS-swaps have become as affordable and simple as they are. I'm planning on getting a set of 90#/hr injectors from a 454 Throttle Body, and porting my stock TB, and that should be fine for my application. It would definitely be different to go MPFI, and you would have a lot more options as far as injectors go.

holley shows the instruction manuals too, so i may read up on both and do a little reasearch... im a long LONG ways out from even attemping this build (great white has an idea of what i mean) but id like to learn the ins and outs, cuz i do have ideas for LS swaps. im not as big into the LS hype as others... personally i prefer my ol small block, when i get a little better set in life, and a lil more experience under my belt i might start tinkin around with LS's...

like any toher gear head ive got ump-teen jillion potential projects and future builds rollin around in my head, each of which have entirly different powertrain set ups, and ive got a couple in mind for a LS powertrain, i am however curious on what it is u got cookin for ur TBI set up

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
if you go with the edelbrock mpfi ...you will have to find a used one on e-bay...that's what I had to do ...2 weeks after edelbrock discontinued the mpfi manifold...you can get a good used intake for about 300-500 bucks

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
on another note if you build a system with the old edelbrock 3501 tbi to mpfi you could spend 2500-3500 easy...I spent double that and did all the work myself,... the new pro flow is affordable, even at 3500bucks, if you want to do it right the first time and have good results