mpfi injector removal from manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
I did the mpfi upgrade a few years back. I'm replacing the aluminum manifold for one in way better condition while I'm doing head gaskets. The injectors do not have clips like the original CSFI did and I don't remember there being any "snap" when placing them in the manifold.
Well.... they don't wanna come out without a little work. My fear is when pulling them out that I could cause damage one way or another. I guess what I'm looking for anybody with experience to tell me "yeah do or don't push or pull here or there". Sounds like a dumb question, and something I can most likely figure out just working with it. I would just hate for something to have gotten a little brittle from exposure and to screw up a $200+ part because I didn't know any better!!!

thank you for any feedback!!!
due to what's most likely covid19 (If not I've been sick with something for 2+ weeks?!?!?) this head gasket job has taken far to long!!!! I've taken advantage of the lack of rush (since I can't go anywhere) to be meticulous with my work and do a ton of extra cleaning. I really don't wanna make a dumb mistake and draw this crap out any longer though!!!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i put my mpfi upgrade in my 97, #6 injector tube ran over the intake port, didn't like that so i removed and corrected. So sorta like your issue.

It did clip in, there were 4 little tabs that you can't see when installed. Couldn't yank it back out with light/mild force and didn't want to screw it up. So i lubed up with WD40 got a little screwdriver and wiggled it around the clips and was able to pop it backout unscathed.

Was a pain thou, the WD40 really helped getting it out.
Good luck, take your time and let us know how it goes.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the mpfi upgrade a few years back. I'm replacing the aluminum manifold for one in way better condition while I'm doing head gaskets. The injectors do not have clips like the original CSFI did and I don't remember there being any "snap" when placing them in the manifold.
Well.... they don't wanna come out without a little work. My fear is when pulling them out that I could cause damage one way or another. I guess what I'm looking for anybody with experience to tell me "yeah do or don't push or pull here or there". Sounds like a dumb question, and something I can most likely figure out just working with it. I would just hate for something to have gotten a little brittle from exposure and to screw up a $200+ part because I didn't know any better!!!

thank you for any feedback!!!
due to what's most likely covid19 (If not I've been sick with something for 2+ weeks?!?!?) this head gasket job has taken far to long!!!! I've taken advantage of the lack of rush (since I can't go anywhere) to be meticulous with my work and do a ton of extra cleaning. I really don't wanna make a dumb mistake and draw this crap out any longer though!!!

I have a 98 5.7 Vortec that is going to need to be replaced. Would it be best to replace the aluminum intake with a new one, or is it OK to re-use the one with 250,000 miles on it. Hasn't been warped to my knowledge, but did have to replace one set of gaskets before.

oilspot

Reaction score
when i put my mpfi upgrade in my 97, #6 injector tube ran over the intake port, didn't like that so i removed and corrected. So sorta like your issue.

It did clip in, there were 4 little tabs that you can't see when installed. Couldn't yank it back out with light/mild force and didn't want to screw it up. So i lubed up with WD40 got a little screwdriver and wiggled it around the clips and was able to pop it backout unscathed.

Was a pain thou, the WD40 really helped getting it out.
Good luck, take your time and let us know how it goes.
Ah... exactly the type thing I was looking for. I don't remember two little clips on each injector, but then again theres a lot of **** I can't remember anymore! That would explain where the resistance is coming from. Now when I break one I can solidly say i knew better, and thanks to delta p I know where I can order replacement tips:doh2:

Jaywestfall- the only reason I'm replacing the aluminum manifold is that it was badly pitted below where the heater inlet hose attaches on the passenger side front of the engine. In a post divorce, most likely alcohol induced wise decision, I somehow got away with applying jb weld like body filler to the pitted sealing surface, and roughly block sanding it flat. I have no idea how it ever sealed, but it did for 3 years (until the head gasket went south).

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 5.7 Vortec that is going to need to be replaced. Would it be best to replace the aluminum intake with a new one, or is it OK to re-use the one with 250,000 miles on it. Hasn't been warped to my knowledge, but did have to replace one set of gaskets before.

As long as the sealing surface is flat and not severely pitted, it should be fine. Pitting in the gasket sealing area can be addressed with epoxy, as suggested, but if its badly eroded then it should be replaced. Intake manifolds don't have an age or mileage for replacement, just reuse guidelines based on condition and serviceability.

oilspot

Reaction score
Ok i got em all out pretty easy. Used a little screwdriver to help pull them up. Just kinda bounced back and forth 180 degrees and gently pried them up. Theres a little radius edge on the bottom of the metal part of the injector, that a small screwdriver cant gently catch an edge on. There are three little "clips" spaced 120degrees apart on that plastic/ replaceable piece, but they dont have a big enough lip to need to be individually released.
I spent maybe 15minutes pulling them out.