Motor tick/knock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I know this is a very sought out question. When I start my truck and its cold there is a tick. Or however you would like to describe it. I've read, exhaust leak, lifter tick. I've replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets. I've put cleaner through my motor to clean up everything. And it's still there. It really bothers me. Does anybody have any other idea on what it could be. Cause google is about our of ideas.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '97 had a 'tick'. It was worse when cold, but it was constant. No internal engine cleaner would fix it. Thought it was the balance shaft bearings. (4.3 Vortec) After my other truck's engine died due to intake manifold gaskets, I wasn't going to take a chance. When we pulled the top end off the '97's engine to do those, & to check that C/B shaft's bearings, (which were fine) we found this. Only one of them all to look bad. Managed to catch it before it killed the camshaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does it do it all the time or only when cold? My 98 tahoe has a little ticking when cold but after about 30seconds it goes away.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sewlow58 it's good that you caught it. 91bluestreak it does it all the time. More so when it's cold and it's much louder when it's cold. But it quiets Down and is not so loud when it heats up. And it's a 98 5.7.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would pull the valve covers and check the valve lash. It sounds like valvetrain noise. If the lash doesnt help, then inspect the rokers, pushrods, and lifters.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Is it coming from the top end or the bottom end?

Take a wooden broom handle and stick it against the valve covers while it's running then put your ear up to the other end. Sounds silly but it makes an excellent tool. Move up and down the valve covers on each side trying to see if one of the valves/lifters is louder than the other ones.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i would say im about 80 percent that it would be the lifters chattering. my truck done it before i changed them. what happens, when its cold out the oil is thicker and it will take more time to to get the oil from the pan up through the motor and to the lifters. kinda like changing your oil when you first start it the lifters will chatter until the oil reaches them. i would say if you change them your problem will be solved

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if I'm replacing lifters, what's a good set to put in. And should I cam it sense I want to anyways?

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i would put the just the factory ones in it. but if you want a different cam you might as well do it while they are out. im not really familier about hopping these newer motors up since its all computer based. now if you give me an older one....well thats a different story lol

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't really want it to be "hopped up". I just like the way a cammed motor sounds. And if I have to replace the lifters, than I might as well cam it. Seems to make sense to me.